Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Quick New Table Runner

Shower of Roses: Preparing for Lent :: Our Lenten JourneyToday is the last day of ordinary time until after Easter and just in the nick of time, I finished this year's Lenten Table Runner.  It was a bit of a scramble, but the binding was finished during my rosary this morning.

I hope that I am not the only person who sew, knits or crochets while praying her rosary. In case you were wondering, I pray my rosary on my iPhone using the Rosary Deluxe App on iTunes. It has nice little meditations before each decade and I find it very meditative. In the afternoons, when I have more time to pray, especially at my sewing machine, I pray the Rosary with Padre Pio. That has a meditation for each and every bead. It takes a lot longer, but is so deep and thought provoking.

Anyway, I have digressed. Preparations for Lent in our home usually included me feathering the nest in some way or another. I would like to dress down the prayer table a little and make it more 'Lent' looking. I love quilting, so making little quilts for the different liturgical seasons is important for my preparations. Two years ago, I made this little table runner for Lent.
We still plan on using this runner and the over-sized can for giving alms. The runner fits perfectly on the prayer table. 

This year's Lenten table runner was meant to be symbolic. At first glance it looks very primitive and simple and it is. I used the same red marbled fabric that I used on the last runner's binding. The red is symbolic of the blood of Christ shed for us. It is also at the center of each square reminding us that Jesus' sacrifice should also be at the center of our mind and our hearts during the next 40 days. The different shades of brown represent the wood of the cross and remind us to pick up and carry our crosses, to repent and to be Christ-like. The marbled beige fabric around the cross represent the desert and the forty days that Our Lord spent in the desert. It reminds us to fast and to spend time in prayer with Jesus. The binding fabric has stones pictured on it. These stones remind us of the stoney path and the journey we are on. Our Lenten journey should bring us closer to Christ. I chose to make the cross out of 7 log cabin patches because of the symbolism of the number 7 in the bible. There were 7 days in creation with the 7th day being the Sabbath and the Lord commands that we forgive 7 times 77 times. In the Catholic faith there are seven sacraments, the seven sorrows of Our Lady, the seven gifts of the Holy spirit and the seven deadly sins just to mention a few.

We plan on making a crown of thorns out of air dry clay with toothpicks. Lots of families use salt dough, but I have yet to have luck with a gluten free version of salt dough. So air dry clay it it. This year we are using the book Bringing Lent Home with Mother Theresa by Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle as one of our main devotionals. It arrived in our mailbox half way through Lent last year. We are using it for the first time this year. I also have other plans for Lent that I may share as they unfold. I am terrible as blogging, so I am not making any promises. I hope to use some resources from the past and to try to keep things simple. Keeping things simple helps me stay on track, not get burned out and actually bring myself and the family closer to Our Lord.

I would be more than happy to share a tutorial on this runner if there is enough interest. 

God bless everyone and Happy Shrove Tuesday!!!

Jesus is the Way, The  Truth, and the Life....NO one comes to the Father except through Him!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and symbolic table runner for Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty, Tina Marie! I haven't made any preparations for Lent, the floor project is kind of taking all my energy. We will go to Latin Mass tomorrow morning, though. Maybe after that I will have a better idea what I want to do this year. You are right about the burn out. Too many projects are not good, they just make Lent as hectic as the time before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...