Friday, September 13, 2013

Changing Seasons

I can't believe that we are almost half way through September. Fall is fast upon our heels. One of my favorite television series, Rookie Blue ended last night. It runs during the summer and now that is is over, so too is summer. I have nearly a year to wait until Season 5 begins. If you haven't seen the series before, click on the picture to read about it and view an episode or two for free.

peter-mooney-missy-peregrym-ben-bass-rookie-blue-you-can-see-the-stars-550-abc.jpg

With the change of seasons I also have a change in the type of gardening work that is waiting for me. I have to clean up the garden and pick the rest of the tomatoes before the first frost. On Wednesday, I posted the picture of a few of the last blooms of the year. We waited months for the dalia's, lilies and sunflowers to bloom. We only have a few days of summer to enjoy them after months of anticipation. The flowers bloomed in time for Mary's birthday on Sunday.

Speaking of Mary's birthday, the kids made birthday banners for her special day, last weekend. Once they were finished, we put together some art journals for the big kids and the little guys made fish. I will have to share pictures of the art journals later. I just realized that there weren't any pictures on my camera, but rather on Mia's. We got the idea from Pinterest to bind together different types of paper with binder rings into little journals. When the big guys get inspired, they journal with art. I love the concept so much that I made myself a journal, but have yet to do any work in it.



As summer ends, the harvesting begins. Last weekend, our favorite field trip destination, Heritage Park had their annual Harvest Sale. They had veggies and fruits by the case load. Since it rained all day Saturday, we decided to go Sunday afternoon. And although much of the wares had been picked over, there were some great deals to be had. We left the park with 40 lbs of peaches, 25 lbs of nectarines, 50 lbs of potatoes, 30 lbs of apples, 10 lbs of onions, 4 lbs of carrots and 2 bags of grapes, half a dozen yellow peppers and a watermelon for $40 in total. The potatoes and onions should keep for a while, but the rest is being busily consumed, is canned or will be canned in the very near future.

We took Monday off of our regular studies to can all of the nectarines and most of the peaches. Our pantry is now stocked with Butter-Spiced Nectarines, Nectarine Jam, Peach Honey Butter and Spiced Peaches. I hope to turn the apples into applesauce, but that will have to wait until next week. It's a good thing that we are studying the pioneer times, so that I can legitimately call Monday hands on school. There is no way that I could have done all of the canning without my wonderful helpers. Both Mia and Noah made a batch of the nectarine jam almost entirely by themselves. The little guys were in charge of sticker removal and playing nicely for most of the day. Adam was our taste tester and napper. When Mia wasn't busily peeling, chopping or stirring, she was babysitting. I was thoroughly amazed at the teamwork and the finished products.


So yet another season has nearly passed, school has begun and we are getting ready for the colder months. We are doing our best to enjoy the last days of summer. Today we are getting things ready to go to the Palio, a family celebration with horse races at the Strathmore Rodeo grounds that takes place tomorrow. There will be an outdoor Mass with the Bishop and lots of fun things for the kids to do. The highlight of the event are the horse races. Each parish of the diocese is represented by a horse. The horses will race against each other to see which parish wins. Below is a video of last year's event. This is our first time going, so I hope it will be lots of fun.



I wish you all a wonderful weekend. I hope to post some great pictures next week, if time allows. Back to school time in our home school family is crazy.

God Bless friends,
Holly Hobbie - friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...