Thursday, August 8, 2013

Mini Quilt for Mary and Other things

I managed to get a little sewing done this week. I have so many plans and so many UFO's that need completion, but I decided that I needed a mini-quilt for my night table/dresser. I have a beautiful Mary statue that once belonged to a man named John. He is the late father of our Rosary Making group's leader. A gentle and sweet man. After he passed, his daughter sold some of his statues to raise funds for the rosary making group that sends thousands of rosaries to the missions. I hope he knows how much we cherished him, his daughter and Our Blessed Mother.


I am so in love with the fabrics. I have been collecting fat quarters for a while. I really want to make a quilt for our bed using these fabrics. This was like a tiny trial run. I used various fabrics from the Lecien collections Hill Farm, Durham Anew and Old New 30's.


I am almost finished quilting a special I-spy quilt for a sweet little guy. I still have about 10 blocks to sew on and to bind it. I will feel a lot better when this is done.


We are really busy getting the house cleaned up for the new school year. I like to do major decluttering, cleaning and organizing to get ready for the new school year. The books are ordered and most of the organizing is done. This weekends' agenda includes removing hanging shelving from Mia's room, patching the walls, touch-up painting and hanging a new sturdier shelf. Mia has a lot of books and the last time we hung up the shelving we did not properly account for the weight of the books. Needless to say, the current shelves are sagging. They won't fall off the walls, but they don't look right and the bottom shelf leans on the bunk-bed and causes the bunk-bed to squeak.

The past two weekends were spent cleaning out the basement and designating a learning space. Have you ever tried to organize one space only to have it snowball into organization of more spaces, leaving the whole house in chaos? That is exactly what happened here. The end result is great, but the path there is tedious, stressful and extremely trying on the nerves. I ended up going to confession after the major organizing was done. Need I say more?

The one area that I hadn't intended on cleaning and organizing was the office/sewing room. But after we removed the computers and their respective furniture to the new school area, the sewing room was half empty and dysfunctional. I didn't want to spend money on new furniture. I wanted to make-do. And so we moved a few things around, grabbed some furniture from other rooms (another snowball happened) and rehung a few things. In a few hours, we had transformed a dysfunctional ugly space into a peaceful oasis. Please remember, this room is only 9 x 12 feet.






I am very happy that this room came together quickly. I am also happy that my prayer table is in my room. I love to have a quiet place to pray. In addition, I have a music player and a rocking chair. These are two essentials in having hubby join me on an evening in the sewing room. He loves to listen to audio stories, especially Die Drei Fragezeichen which are the German version of the Three Investigators by Robert Arthur. The rocking chair was a must, even if there isn't much room for it. Hubby deserves a comfy place to sit, don't you think? During the day, DC our resident house cat occupies it and keeps it warm.


Thanks for stopping by. God Bless.
Holly Hobbie - friends

3 comments:

  1. What lovely spaces! That mini quilt you made is so lovely! I am so in awe. I would love to be able to quilt, I just fear I am not steady enough. Do you do it by hand? Or some of it by hand? Who taught you? Sorry, I just feel so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I am sure that you would be able to quilt. The dolls you make and the other crocheted items are amazing. I do everything by machine and the odd time, I quilt by hand. I taught myself for the most part and took a few craftsy courses. I was scared at first, but practice really makes you better. Perhaps we should do a trade. I could quilt you a table runner and in turn, you could make me a doll??? God bless.

      Delete
  2. I love love love the mini-quilt and the fabrics you put together. And your sewing room. So neat and tidy and inviting. Love the big window by your machine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...