Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I have the itch to stitch

Summer is here! It is short and sweet in this neck of the woods. They are actually forecasting nice weather in the coming days, which would be a welcome change to all of the rain that we have had in the last few weeks. All that rain kept us indoors and me busy sewing.

I have too many unfinished projects that desperately need finishing. Hubby keeps bugging me to finish his Star Wars quilt and his super hero pillow. He also asked me to make a runner for on top of the fireplace in the media room. The problem is that I really don't like to do man-ly quilts. I am really wanting to get to more feminine projects, but get side tracked making things for the kids.


1. Charms for the I-Spy quilt   2. 4 1/2 inch log cabins   3.blocks for Maria's bed quilt   4. Lucky Bear Paw for Blogger's BOM Quilt along   5. Embroidered Vintage Deer   6. Crown of Thorns block   7.I-Spy quilt on the design wall   8. Christmas mini quilt   9.Oh hi Star for Blogger's BOM Quilt Along   10. Whirlwind for Blogger's BOM Quilt Along

I was so itching to stitch that I actually made some progress on the Blogger's BOM Quilt Along Blocks. I am so far behind. I am hoping to use the blocks to make a feminine lap quilt for the living room. My kids love to cuddle under blankets first thing in the morning. When they wake up they make their way to the bathroom and then to the living room. They all snuggle up (usually bringing half of their bed with them) and gradually wake up to start the day. I cherish this time cuddling with and talking to the kids. The big kids usually give me a narration of the book that they read before bed or tell me all about their dreams. The little ones just cuddle and snuggle and cuddle some more. There is such a need to get a few smaller lap quilts for this purpose. Everyone hates dragging all of their quilts back to their beds and I hate to be constantly reminding them not to forget to take their quilts back to their rooms. 

I though that an "I-spy" quilt would be just the thing for the two middle boys. I let them help me pick out the fabrics from my stash. A couple of weeks ago I scored a nice sized bag of quilting scrap fabrics on freecycle that had a few fabrics that were perfect for the "I-spy" quilt. I have been collecting novelty fabrics for a while now in hopes of having enough variety to make an "I-spy" quilt. The thrift stores often have remnants of novelties or uglies that work well in this type of project. "I-spy" quilts are all the rage now. I can see myself making a few more of these in the future. When I have a little cash left over, I will likely buy some pre-cut squares on Etsy. I just need a few hours and a cup or two of coffee to get the top all sewn together and another few cups to quilt and a few more when I bind it. Here is a close up of some of the square hanging on the design wall.


On Thursday evening, I felt like embroidering something. I printed out the image of a vintage deer from here and started straight away. It was a good thing that I did because when I woke up on Friday, we were without power. I worked on it off and on during the entire power out and haven't worked on it since. It is almost finished and I hope to make it into a pillow cover using the In from the Cold mini charms that I bought at the quilt festival back in May.

I also have to stitch the tree onto the Christmas mini quilt that I started. It might end up as a pillow too. We will just see. My brain is pure chaos. I have so many ideas swimming up there and need to clean up a little. It would help if I would make a list of all of my projects and make a deadline for myself to finish them. Am I the only person with this problem? Well I should go and be productive.

Till next time, friends and God Bless.
Holly Hobbie - friends



3 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh, you are amazing!! That I Spy quilt--how cool!!!

    We got your daughter's letter today (using no names sounds so formal)

    My daughter has already written her back and put it in the mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks for letting me know. She is so excited to get mail soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice!

    Follow your blog, follow me? http://elblogdeaceber.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...