Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Celebrating Husband and Father

St. Joseph and Jesus.Happy Feast of St. Joseph!

While searching the web for a prayer appropriate for the day, I stumbled upon the following prayer. It is called:

A special prayer to Saint Joseph

Oh, St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in you all my interest and desires. Oh, St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession, and obtain for me from your divine Son all spiritual blessings, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. So that, having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers. Oh, St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you, and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him close in my name and kiss His fine head for me and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls - Pray for me.

This prayer was found in the fiftieth year of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In 1505 it was sent from the Pope to Emperor Charles when he was going into battle. 

Whoever shall read this prayer or hear it or keep it about themselves, shall never die a sudden death, or be drowned, nor shall poison take effect on them; neither shall they fall into the hands of the enemy, or shall be burned in any fire or shall be overpowered in battle.

Say for nine mornings for anything you may desire. It has never been know to fail, so be sure you really want what you ask. ~ source: prayerbook.com

This wasn't the exact prayer that I was looking for, but isn't it beautiful? I got tears in my eyes while praying this and knew that I couldn't disregard it. Sometimes I am funny that way?

We are making a new tradition in our family as of today. We are celebrating St. Joseph's feast day by spoiling our spouse/father. St. Joseph is such a model for husbands and fathers. I think about how he protected Our Lord and Our Lady. God gave him a huge task. God gives husbands and father's the same task, provider and protector of families. St. Joseph is an inspiration. I never realized that my husband was so devoted to him. There are actually things that I don't know about my husband and I am amazed. What better day than today to honor our husbands and father of our children than today.

My husband is my everything. We have been through so much together and he has never abandoned me. He is the reason I do so many of the things that I do. I never knew that I could love someone so deeply before I met him. I don't tell him often enough how much I appreciate all that he does. I may be sounding a bit sappy, but it is all true. And the next time he is bugging me for whatever reason, remind me to read this post again.

So instead of making St. Joseph's Day treats that you would typically see on a St. Joseph's Altar, we are making daddy a simple meal. One of his favorite meals  is chicken curry. Tonight there will be yummy chicken and veggie curry on mashed potatoes, orange delight smoothies (made by the kids) and nutella ice cream pops for desert. It's the best I can do without using gluten (like almost every typical St. Joseph's Feast Day recipe ).


While Adam napped and I prepped the dinner, the kids made daddy some Feast Day cards. I think it is important that my children know and respect all of the things that daddy does for them and not to take daddy for granted. I am sure that Jesus never took St. Joseph for granted. Imagine the love that Jesus must have felt for St. Joseph while working alongside him in the shop. I am sure that He looked up to him as any child looks up to a father. I can only imagine the love that Mary must have felt in having a husband that honored God and then protected and cherished her and Jesus both. What a man! My husband talks about St. Joseph being the ultimate man. He remarks fondly that he didn't have an easy task living with two people who never sinned. If anything was out of sorts, it was Joseph's fault. I was pleasantly surprised when Sascha said that he was choosing Joseph for his confirmation name. What a great choice! To aid him on his journey, he is getting some inspiration from his kiddos.


by Owen

by Noah

by Mia with the book that inspired the idea

He was chosen by the eternal Father as the trustworthy guardian and protector of his greatest treasures, namely, his divine Son and Mary, Joseph’s wife. He carried out this vocation with complete fidelity until at last God called him, saying ‘Good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of your Lord.’ from a sermon by Saint Bernardine of Siena
St. Joseph, Patron of fathers, pray for us. 

3 comments:

  1. Now I'm curious, how do you make those Nutella ice cream pops?

    Thanks for posting the prayer, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 bananas and 1 cup of nutella get blended together in the food processor or blender and voila!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...