Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Patron of Mothers

120 years ago today, on January 29, 1893, Pope Leo XIII beatified Gerard Majella. St. Gerard, pray for us!

For those of you who are not familiar with this saint, he is the patron of the expectant mother, mothers in general and childbirth. I have a very special place in my heart for Saint Gerard. It is through his intercession that we have our little Adam Gerard.

Om September 8th, we had a sonogram appointment to check up on our little 10 week old unborn baby. Much to our dismay, this baby had died in my womb and was lifeless. I will never forget that image on the screen. My baby had died. I was devastated. One day later, I miscarried. I will not go into all of the details, but I will tell you that I was very devastated. This had been our third miscarriage.

I remember crying a lot. I knew that I had a booklet about St. Gerard with my other Catholic prayer books and days after the miscarriage I prayed the novena at the back of the book. I cried pitifully through the prayers each night. I begged Saint Gerard to bless us with another child. I even promised him that I would name the baby after him.

If you have read my blog before, you will probably already know that we got pregnant shortly afterward with our little Adam. Before we conceived, my husband had a dream. In that dream, he was told to name his baby Adam Gerard. We were thrilled to find out that we were expecting only weeks later. At 19 weeks, we found out that we were having a boy! Saint Gerard had interceded for us in ways beyond all of our comprehension. I was in shock. We had been blessed after such devastation and loss. All of the tears and cries were heard.

Needless to say, I have a special love and devotion to Saint Gerard.

I know that I have posted this before (but it was a long time ago), but I would like to post it again. If you have suffered a miscarriage, are trying to conceive or want special help from Saint Gerard, you can get a little devotional and prayer kit from St. Lucy's Church and the National Shrine of Saint Gerard. It is free of charge. After my second miscarriage, I called there and they sent me a medal, handkerchief and prayer card with the novena. I wore the medal through the entire pregnancy with Patrick (the second youngest) and you can see him holding it in this picture.

St. Gerard Majella, pray for us.

1 comment:

  1. That is beautiful story. I am sometimes overwhelmed by the thought that there are women out there (like us) who have lost babies as such a small age and yet there are also women out there that want to "get rid" of them. I can remember how hard I mourned and for how long and how sad it makes me that such a gift can be squandered.

    Saint Gerard is a favorite of mine as well. I prayer several novenas to him and saint Anne during my pregnancy after my miscarriage. He is a very wonderful saint indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...