Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Dancing with Your Children


Let them praise his name in dance, make music with tambourine and lyre. Psalm 149:3

I am not an expert on anything, really, but I love to dance. I am not a dancer. I have two left feet, but I must move to the music. I woke up this morning and had to dance. I danced and danced.

I am not sure what I was doing in the living room can be considered dancing, but I twirled with a two year old on my hip to the music. Do you dance with your children? If you don't, you should. Here is my meager attempt to convince you...

1. It is good for your heart.  Sure it is exercise and it gets the heart pumping, but dancing is much more than that. It releases endorphins and makes you happier. It is good for the well being of your heart. If your heart could smile, I am sure it would.
Baby Mia loved to dance with mama.
2. It encourages bonding. Whether you are dancing with your toddler or your teenager, you develop a stronger bond. You must communicate. You work together. You smile and have fun together.
3. It is refreshing. If you are in a slump and your brain is sluggish and you need a break, dance! Boogie to a quick song and you will feel better, trust me. We sometimes interrupt school to dance. It can breath new life into a tired and weary child. It can help him or her focus again.
4. It encourages a good sleep. If have never danced with a baby, do it (if you can). Grab that baby and waltz around the living room. You don't need to know all of the right steps, just move. The baby will love it. I have often danced a fussy baby to sleep.
That is my grandma in the turquoise dress.
5. It creates memories. I remember dancing in the farmhouse kitchen growing up. Sundays after Mass and brunch, we danced. At weddings, we danced and danced. At grandma's, we danced and sung and danced some more.
daddy - daughter dance at my wedding
6. It is fun. You don't need to be a Fred Astaire to dance with your children. Just get up and dance. Have you ever done the bird dance or the hokey pokey with your children? Did they laugh at the way you boogied? Did you laugh at the way you boogied? Go ahead and laugh at my bad dancing, I'm going to dance anyway. It is fun and I love it. 

My kids love to be twirled and to groove with mom. They love it so much that we bought Just Dance Kids 2 and Just Dance: Disney Party for the Wii. And guess what? They are better than I am! When it is -20C outside, we dance inside. We dance and make memories, bond and have lots of fun. Will you dance today? Twirl your kids and give them something to remember you by.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...