Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Adam's Birth Story

I haven't felt much like blogging lately. I have been busy with my new little baby, but I thought that I should share the miracle of our baby.

The pregancy with Adam was wonderful and trying. I became pregnant only a few short months after miscarrying for the third time. The feelings I had were overwhelming. I wanted to be happy, but I was still mourning the loss of our little one. Bleeding occurred early on in the pregnancy and I was terrified that I would again suffer the loss of another baby. The bleeding turned out to be caused by a cyst that had ruptured, but the fear remained for weeks.

I began having Braxton hicks at about 23 weeks. I was praying that I would not have the baby quite yet. With every contraction my fears grew. I wanted this baby to live. I wanted to hold him in my arms.

At 35 weeks, I went to the hospital with preterm labour. Luckily with lots of fluids and rest, I was able to keep my little one inside the safe confines of my womb. People were praying for my baby and that was such a comforting feeling. The Braxton hicks continued and were relentless. They kept me up at night, came regularly and then disappeared. I wasn't sure if I would know when I was actually in "real" labour.

I had an appointment with the midwives at 39 weeks. My midwife checked my cervix and told me that all of the contractions had only dialated me to about 3 cms. We made plans to induce naturally at 40 weeks and planned my husband's holidays accordingly. But luckily, that would not need to happen.

On Saturday, the 11th of August at around 4 am, I felt an increased amount of cervical mucus gush out. I knew that it wasn't my water breaking, but it was an odd feeling that needed to be looked at. I also wanted to desperately clean myself up. While using the bathroom I noticed an ever so faint amount of bloody show. After I cleaned up, I debated on whether or not to tell Sascha, my husband. It was so early. Something urged me to go downstairs and tell him. I remember waking him and telling him that the baby was coming. Out of nowhere, I began having contractions that were about 2-3 minutes apart.

Sascha got dressed and we went upstairs. I had a few more contractions and he urged me to promptly call the midwife. At 4:11am, I called my midwife's pager. We spoke for no more than a minute. I just told her that the baby was on it's way and that I had some bloody show. She told me that she was on her way and I hung up. Normally she would have asked me questions, but she didn't. I went to the kitchen and breathed through one contraction after another.

All of the children were sleeping. Sascha was busying himself getting everything ready for the midwive's arrival. He set up the tarps, the birthing pool, hooked up the hose and who knows what else he was doing. I blogged a quick post about the garden and then I laboured quietly in the kitchen as I had done with Patrick's birth. The contractions weren't overly strong, but I give credit to my breathing. If you haven't read "Birthing from Within", I suggest that you do. Those techniques really work.

At about 5:00am the midwife and a student midwife arrived. Sascha greeted them and helped them find their way around the house and start unpacking their gear. At some point, my lovely midwife asked to check my cervix. I agreed to let her check because I was curious as to how long I would still be labouring. To our surprise, I had already dialated to 9cm and she could feel a bulge from the bag of waters.

I then went back to the kitchen to labour some more. Everyone left me alone, which is a good thing. It was then, though that I needed them most. I remember looking at Sascha and then at the midwife saying that I feel the head coming down. I could feel the pressure. I remember crossing my legs and telling them that I wasn't ready yet. The pool only had a few inches of water in it and I hadn't called the doula yet.

My midwife urged me to go to the bathroom to see if the water would break. It broke almost immediately after I sat down. I didn't want to birth my baby on the toilet. The thought repulsed me. I had miscarried here. There was a tiny problem though, the head was half way out. The midwife also mentioned that there was also meconium in the water. Everything happened so quickly after that. The midwife grabbed a blue underpad and used it to hold the baby's head while we scurried to the living room to finish birthing the baby. Sascha quickly spread a plastic tarp and a sheet over the couch. All the while, I remember panting (you know a la lamaze) and trying not to push. I got to the couch, leaned back and the rest of baby's head and one of his shoulders came. I pushed once and he was born. It was so fast, it was only 5:20am. My midwife suctioned Adam while I held him. He had thankfully only ingested a very little of the meconium. She checked his lungs periodically and within half an hour, they were completely free.

Slowly, the kids started getting up and coming to see what the commotion was. I was holding the new baby in my arms. Noah got to clamp and cut the cord. Maria got to eventually dress him. We all cuddled and were in awe of this little miracle. Adam Gerard was born into our hearts and arms. He weighed 10lbs. and was 21 1/4 inches long.

Just seconds after Adam was born.
Big brother Noah clamping and cutting the cord.
A chubby cherub.
Being weighed.
Getting dressed by his big sister.
The whole gang.

 
Once again, I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I am positive, that it was through these intercessions that Adam's birth went so smoothly.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that was fast. He is very chubby too!! I am glad it went so well. God Bless you guys,Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a beautiful family! And thank you for your witness as a Catholic woman and mother. Truly inspiring. God Bless you and your household!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a beautiful gift from God!! all your children are beautiful. God bless your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, he's adorable!!! (all your kiddos are)You, Tina, need to picture yourself more,you are so beautiful....amazing you just gave birth in these pictures.congratulations...I have a gift....but am slow to send....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful story and wondering news on your new baby boy!!! THank you for sharing. I am so happy for you and that everything turned out so beautifully. Love his name!!!GOd bless your family!!!God bless,Mary @ CHeerios

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...