Thursday, July 12, 2012

Yarn Along ~ A day late

It has been so hot here! I can hardly move. Luckily and thankfully it cools down a little to sleep at night. I never got around to posting my Yarn Along post yesterday. I was busy making a family cookbook.

I am now 35 weeks pregnant and feeling a little bit of pressure to get things done, but it has been so hot lately. I have mentioned before that I have a 'to do' list that I want to tackle before the baby comes. One of those things was to compile a little cookbook with all of our family favourites in it. Eating grain-free is challenging at times, but I have learned to adapt regular recipes to our needs. I have written all over my 'go-to' recipes. There are substitutes listed in margins and things crossed out everywhere. That is ok if I am doing the cooking, but it makes it hard for the rest of my fellow family cooks. I knew that this cookbook had to be a priority when the breakfast bread that Noah baked turned out about as thick as an I-pod. It was bad. He missed something for sure. He claims he didn't, but we make this recipe 3-4 times a week and know that something went wrong. I take the blame partly because of the state of this particular page in the cookbook.


So instead of blogging yesterday, I typed like a mad woman to make a useable cookbook for my family. I promised everyone that I would print everything out today, laminate the pages and bind it into a little book for everyone to use. The oldest kids were thrilled about the laminated pages. My cookbooks have lots of stains in them. You should see my beet salad recipe! My inspiration for this cookbook came from these and many other sources.

The bottom book is actually one of two binders full of recipes pulled off of the internet. As our eating evolved from eating "normally" to being gluten-free to now being grain-free, I have a lot of recipes. Most of them are useless to me now. Whenever I wanted to find a particular recipe, it was buried between lots of other recipes. With a new baby coming, two kids and a husband that also cook, I don't actually do all of the cooking anymore. This cookbook is for them. No pen scribbles, no splotches of sticky food, just good recipes that we know and love.  I have included everything from breads, to smoothies, to marinated chicken to nutella ice cream. I wish I could share, but I can't take credit for hardly any of the recipes.

Enough about my excuses for not posting yesterday. I have been busily working on some things for baby and me. Here is my Ravelry page to see all of the things that I have been working on. I finished more projects this week than I have in a year. Right now, I am working on another wool soaker. I am knitting it in size S, since I tend to breed big babies.


I also recently ordered a couple of Donna Marie Cooper O'Boyle's books from amazon.ca. Right now I just started Embracing Motherhood. It is an easy read and so full of wisdom and insight. I love her books. Like I said, I just began reading it so I don't have any comments other than I feel that it promises to be very uplifting and insightful.

For more Yarn Along posts, visit Ginny at her blog Small Things.

God Bless friends and thank you for stopping by,

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic idea. I handwrite "big hits" recipes into a spiral bound notebook, so that our favourites are all in one place but lately I have found that there are just too many loose pages stuck in here and there. Laminated pages sounds awesome too. Thanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...