Thursday, July 19, 2012

Needle & Thread - Patrick's Quilt

I finally finished Patrick's quilt! I machine quilted it a few weeks ago and attached the binding. Then we were hit by a heat wave and there was no way that this pregnant momma could handle laying a quilt across her lap to finish binding it by hand. Luckily, the weather took a turn, we got some rain and it cooled down a lot. I sewed as fast as possible. Patrick loves his new quilt. I used the Wee Woodlands fabric from Moda and a pattern that I purchased on Etsy. It is called, Flowers in the Garden. It was an extremely quick quilt to cut and sew together. I have two more of these quilt tops waiting to be finished. I just need the motivation to finish them.

For now, I will share with you pictures of my sweetie and his new quilt.


This is the matching pillow case that we made a while back. My daughter Maria did the embroidery and I pieced, sewed and quilted the top.
This week, I have been reading Ingeborg Stadleman's "Die Hebammen Sprechstunde."
I love this book. It is a pregnancy book, written by a midwife. It covers all of the major issues and nuances of pregnancy, labour, post-partum period and breastfeeding. I especially love the breakdown of the first few days and weeks after giving birth. I have yet to find another book that describes the normal day-to-day changes in the early post-partum time. It describes in depth what your discharge should look like, your breasts and milk and sorts of other things that come up. It talks alot about natural remedies throughout the whole book. The uses of teas, tinctures, homeopathic remedies, herbs and aromatherapies are very important to well-being of the new mother. I have used a number of her remedies as described throughout the book and have always felt better for them. This book needs to be translated into English.

For more Needle & Thread posts, visit Elizabeth's Blog, In the Heart of my Home.

God Bless friends,


UPDATE: There is an English Translation of the above mentioned book available. You can find it here at Stadelmann Verlag. The book is called A Consultation with a Midwife. I hope it is every bit as good in English as it is in German.

3 comments:

  1. The quilt looks great!!! And the book sounds like one I should have had (in English of course!)!! Little too late now, since God decided I'm done having babies. I'm wondering, does the book mention eating a meal with beans once a day to help with morning sickness? My sister is expecting and she heard to try that. She says it's working very well for her!(She's about 20 weeks, this will be her 5th living baby) Praying for you and your baby! St Gerard is AWESOME!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking I will put that book in my Amazon cart and then keep checking and hoping thatsomeday they will translate it into English.. it sounds wonderful! Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous! My babymoon has included some special request sewing: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/07/crafting-along-with-needle-and-thread_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quilt and it looks like the perfect pattern to showcase a fabric line. Hmmm... I might just have one in my future, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...