Monday, April 23, 2012

Earth Day Weekend Gardening

Yesterday, was Earth Day! We don't usually celebrate Earth Day in any particular way. We try to recycle, reuse and make do on a regular basis. We pick-up garbage on that gets blown onto our yard as well as the neighbours yards, too. Although, I am not your regular tree hugger, I do my best to preserve God's creation.

I have mentioned many times, that we love to garden and that we are planning a potager. Well, this earth day weekend blessed us with beautiful weather and it also happened to be hubby's three day weekend. We ended up making two trips to the hardware store and buying the lumber and supplies needed. We still had gift cards and the cash we made selling our entertainment centre stand on our first trip. We also had a coupon. If you spent $75, you would get a $15 gift card. We went over my the cost of a rose stock and got the gift card. When we came home, we found three more gift cards in the mail box from our Visa points. This allowed us to go back and purchase the rest of the lumber. So all in all, we only spent a little over 9 dollars on the garden.


Owen's Garden. Under the dome is a bean plant that he started indoors and is protected against from because we didn't harden it off. He also has some red & white sweet peas (he calls them Jesus sweet peas) and he also planted lettuce, radishes, sunflowers and peas.

Where I intend to spend a lot of the rest of my pregnancy.

And we had lumber left over. Our plan was to build a bigger sandbox. We ripped out the swing set and I thought we ought to at least have room for a baby swing. So after we reworked the plans a few times, set some posts, I went to paint and behind my back daddy built this:


Some of the boards still need painting, but you can see that it is a simple boat. There is a platform with a steering wheel and underneath is a kitchen and hanging beside is my baby swing. The kids are thrilled. It is made of scraps, except for the main posts, which we planned and set in concrete. Everything else was made up as it was being built. For a man, who claims he can't build anything, I think he did a great job.

Now we have a garden, without garden soil. That will arrive next week. We ordered a cu. yard to fill the boxes and bought a few bags of pro-mix to fill the cold frame, Owen's box, some window boxes and planters. Earth Day weekend was a green weekend here. I can't wait for the first harvest and neither can my gardener buddy, Owen.

On another note, I received an email from a good Catholic friend, saying that Earth Day marks the day of St. Francis of Assisi's birthday. He was an enviromentalist of his time. Neat, huh?

I hope you had a great Earth Day and weekend. God Bless, Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...