Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Top to Bottom, Left to Right (Part 1)

Have you ever heard that you should always clean from 'top to bottom, left to right'? I learned this way back when I was in university, trying to make enough money to survive. I cleaned homes for Molly Maid. I made better money working as a maid than I did in retail and that is why I did it. I was pretty good at it, but I was slow. I am a bit of a perfectionist and clean people's houses as if they were mine. Needless to say, I was told over and over to clean faster and remember... top to bottom, left to right. It is the most effective way of cleaning any space. You avoid backtracking or missing anything.

Yesterday morning, while the kiddos sat at the table doing their school work, I cleaned out my kitchen cupboards. I started at the top, worked my way down and to the right and repeated. My goal was to declutter and remove anything that I don't use or need. I ended up with two boxes of stuff that can be donated or sold (Tupperware).
The thing about love about spring cleaning is that you feel so much better once it is finished. Unfortunately, I still have the cupboards above and below the microwave to tackle, the bench that the kids sit on and the shelves that my hubby built me over the table.
This picture is of when my dearest first build everything. I already see things that we are going to part with. A Bodum (coffee-press) anyone? The bench is filled with more bowls, Tupperware, a tub of baking cookie cutters and a basket of onions. The bench is lovely, but with the table in front of it, I have a really hard time getting anything out of it. Especially now that I am preggers. Thank God for little kiddos who love crawling under the table!

I used to be able to get a lot more done in a day. This is one of the smallest kitchens I have ever had and yet it is taking me so much longer to clean, organize and declutter. Is it because space is so limited? Maybe it is because I was overseeing our kids schoolwork and kept stopping and starting? Whatever it is, there will be a part 2 to Top to Bottom, Left to Right.
 God Bless and happy spring cleaning and freeing ourselves from the bonds of stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...