Monday, March 26, 2012

Gluten Sensitivity in Children

I receive regular emails from Gluten Free Society. Today, I was sent an email on the impact of gluten on gluten sensitive children. All four of my children have had varying and sometimes very different reactions to gluten.

I wish I had seen these videos almost 12 years ago when my first baby had extreme colic and gas problems and reactions to every formula we tried. I had trouble breastfeeding him and living in a foreign country, I had no idea who to ask for help. This resulted in battles with my young baby to keep any food down. On a holiday, in Austria, both my oldest (then seven months) and I got so sick, we ended up in the hospital. Years later, we know that gluten was most likely the culprit.

It wasn't until baby number 4 came along, that we found Dr. Osborne and Gluten Free Society. Without this website, my little guy might not be here today. I was on the "typical" gluten free diet. It wasn't until we eliminated all gluten containing grains, (in addition to wheat, barley & rye, we eliminated oats, corn and rice) that Patrick's acid reflux, failure to thrive and extreme weight loss was curbed and he got better within weeks of me changing my diet.

Dr. Osborne has a website that is excellent in helping you understand what true gluten sensitivity is and what your diet should look like. I am going to list some of the most common symptoms that appear in children with gluten sensitivity as they appear on Dr. Osborne's website and in his videos. There are more listed in the video.
  • growing pains
  • colic
  • reflux
  • epilepsy
  • stomach pain
  • chronic ear infections
  • hyperfollicular keratosis (skin bumps on the back of the arms)
  • failure to thrive (FTT)
  • growth stunting
  • short stature
  • constipation
  • autism
  • diarrhea
  • juvenile diabetes
  • ADD/ADHD symptoms
  • spontaneous nose bleeding
  • severe allergies (hyper allergic syndrome)
I urge everyone with children to watch the following videos.
"Dr. Peter Osborne of the Gluten Free Society Discusses the impact of gluten on children in this Glutenology special video..."
[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu9ZHb7oUqQ?rel=0]

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUp7e9xSzJw?rel=0]

God Bless,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...