Thursday, February 23, 2012

Stash Bash - February 23rd

I have been following the Stash Bash posts by Tricia at Crunchy Catholic Momma. She has been busy using up her stash to make some new projects. I have a bit of a stash myself. I just love new material. I am quite thrify though. I try to only buy new fabric, yarn or other crafty stuff when it is really, really marked down. There is a bin at the local fabric store that sells bolt ends of every kind of fabric imaginable at the amazing price of buy one (which is usually already 50% off the original price) and get 2 free!!! That is how I get a good amount of material stashed up. I also love these fabric for kids sewing projects. If something doesn't work out, I don't worry too much because the fabric cost up pennies as opposed to big $$$.

I have a membership to the local fabric shop, which runs me $20 per annum. A great deal because this allows me to purchase most of my fabric for at least 50% off during special member sales. Notions are always at least 20% off with the membership. I make a lot of stuff myself, so I figure it is worth it.

This past weekend, I splurged and purchased some material for a dedicated project, a table runner that I had seen on Pinterest. Most of the material was $5/metre with 50% off, meaning that I only spent $2.50/m. I guessed at how much I needed and ended up with much too much. I wanted to have a table runner for Lent on my dining table. It now holds our money jar, some Lenten reflection books, and a prayer cube and a basket of missionary Rosary making supplies. During meals, I remove the above mentioned items and use it as a hotpad. Btw, from my own stash, I had the quilt batting and interfacing and some thread.


I used various colours of purple, obviously and I embroidered one strip to say, "pray, fast, give alms." The outer fabric was a red and purple batic. I chose this because it reminded me of the blood of Christ. I plan on using some of the fabric to make another one of these for a purple loving bride friend of mine, who happens to be having a bridal shower in March. She is a devout Catholic and I think she would like one of these, don't you? I will definitely take my time and get things a little straighter (please don't look at my sewing close up, it is very off). I am glad that I made this one first, so that my gift will have less glitches, hopefully.

I whipped up another quick project for myself yesterday. I made some faceclothes that are meant only for me. We use a lot of faceclothes in this house. We have a two year old and three boys for that matter. I also use homemade wipes for the little guy's bottom and I don't want to use those on my face. Although we have quite a few washclothes, I hate to use them because they are needed. Instead of buying more, I raided my stash and whipped up a few.


The ones on the left are made from an old flannel duvet cover that I hat already cut up for diaper making and the ones on the right were made from fabric bought in the "Buy 1 get 2 Free" bin. They are turned and topstiched 9" squares-ish. They look small because they are folded.

I am excited that I have my own washclothes. I almost never wash my fash (did I just say that)! I only wash my fash in the shower. I came across a method of facial cleansing that doesn't involve soap or facewash, both of which irritate my skin and leave it dry and itchy or extremely oily. I saw the "Oil-Cleansing Method" on Pinterest and thought that this might work. You wash your face with oil, heat a wash cloth, lay it on your face for a minute and then wipe off the excess oil. I figure it is worth a try, but I needed a few faceclothes for myself that hadn't been previously on a bum. Voila, now I can wash my face. That just sounded weird! Oh well, I bashed a bit of stash and it cost me an hour or so of my time.

Don't forget to stop buy Tricia's blog to see what she has done this week!

Have a great Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. Love all your projects this week! The table runner is lovely and I too have face cloths I have had to make for me to differentiate them from the little cloths that wipe bums around here. I use saflower oil in the shower as a moisturizer and a few months ago I put some on my face while in their and loved it. Now I know it is called something lol. Thanks for joining me for the Stash Bash.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...