Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Salmon Burgers

Ash Wednesday is here, Lent is here. Catholics around the world are called to fast and to abstain from meat. I hope to share a few of our favourite meatless dishes with you this Lenten season. Last week, we made some salmon burgers, measured our ingredients, wrote it down, and then lost the recipe. That was brilliant! So to the best of my ability, I will share with you our gluten-free, grain free version of our salmon burgers.

Salmon Burgers

3 cans of Red Sockeye Salmon (312g/can or 7.5 oz/can)
1/3 cup almond flour (alternatively use bread crumbs)
2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 medium eggs
1Tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch of salt
pepper to tast

The salmon that use has skin and bones in it. I pick out the skin and bones if hubby is eating with us and leave them in if he isn't. I just crush up the salmon with a fork until the bones crush (they are ok to eat and add extra calcium) and skin and the salmon are one homogenous mixture. Next, mix in the rest of the ingredients. If you have fresh parsley and scallions, use them. I didn't have them on hand, as it was Friday, the end of the week (hence the empty fridge). Feel free to try your own mix of herbs and spices. A friend of mine adds cheese to her salmon burgers. I thought cheese and salmon was wierd until I tried it and was pleasantly surprised at how good it tasted. So now, I always make my salmon burgers with cheese. I fried my burgers on the griddle at 350F. I wanted to fry up as many as possible, but you can fry them in a normal frying pan on medium if you would like. I used just a little oil on the griddle. Fry each side until golden brown. Flip only once if you can help it.  Here is what my burgers looked like while frying. The darker ones were already flipped.


We plan on making these today with a side of leftover Beet and Walnut salad and leftover mashed sweet potatoes. By the way, the Beet and Walnut salad is out of this world. I toasted the walnuts and the kids thought they tasted and smelled like popcorn, which was a good thing.


God Bless,

3 comments:

  1. OK, I don't like beets or salmon....meatless means noodles and maybe cheese tortillas, but now with gluten free.....unless I do corn tortillas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's too bad. My next recipe was going to be another salmon recipe. Filets with a herb oil. These beets are really good. They are really sweet when roasted or baked. I will try to post a few soups for you. Noah loves the potato soup recipe I brought from Germany. We do zucchini noodles. I have a kitchen gadget that makes them look like spaghetti. They work as noodles for gluten free meals. I miss noodles sometimes. They are quick, cheap and a crowd pleaser. Do you like quiche or frittatas? They are also great meatless meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves egg bakes...I don't care for eggs....but will eat them sometimes certain ways....like scrambled, or only yolks other ways....so Potatoes, cheese, meat of some kind and eggs, kind of like quiche and frittatas.I'm the only one who like zucchini, but that noodle thing sounds good. Thanks Tina Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...