Monday, December 19, 2011

New Year's Resolutions for 2012


I know this post is a little early. It isn't even Christmas. My husband has two weeks off over Christmas, so I probably won't be online very much. I thought that I should get a jump-start on this. I feel a need to write down my resolutions this year. To be honest, I never make resolutions. No resolutions means no disappointments. Well, that is not true. I am forever complaining that I never get anything done (which is not true) and that I am a failure at meeting goals. How can you be a failure if you never set goals, right? So to make myself accountable, I am going to make a list for all to see. Please feel free to make suggestions. This list isn't inclusive, but a foundation. I will tweek goals as necessary and not expect to meet all of the goals by the end of the year. Nothing like putting myself under more pressure, right?

So first, I am going to separate my goals into different catergories. The following categories are my main focus: Spiritual, Family, Personal, Intellectual, Financial, For the Greater Good.

Spiritual Goals
- find a spiritual director
- go to confession at least once a month
- go to Adoration once a week
- pray the Rosary daily
- learn 2 new prayers by heart
- read the Bible daily
- make a prayer intention book and begin praying intentionally for others using the book.

Family
- pray together as a family everyday (saying grace doesn't count)
- spend time outdoors everyday (weather permitting)
- go for frequent walks
- go to the Bird Sanctuary
- feed the ducks at Bowness Park
- go to at least three city parks that we have never been to besides Bowness Park
- buy a family pass using homeschool funding for Heritage Park and go there often
- build the kids a play structure for the backyard (see bottom left of picture)
- save enough points to get gift cards for the lumber and materials needed for the play structure
- buy a new kiddie pool
- learn to make dairy free homemade ice-cream
- read to all of the kids on a daily basis (this is hard for me, the key is balance)
- have a good laugh together every day
- make more special time for each individual
- tune up everyone's bikes, buy dad one (if we can swing it) and get out on the bike paths
- go camping (this is new to us)
- plant a kid friendly garden (one they can take care of)
- find an affordable and reliable babysitter, so I can have a few dates with my husband

Personal
- get in shape
- have a baby
- take time to take care of myself and don't feel guilty
- get a haircut when I need one (I usually don't)
- get into a habit of taking my vitamins
- drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
- get outside every day (weather permitting)
- get to bed earlier (by 10:00pm)
- feel better about myself, start liking myself
- learn at least 4 new techniques in handicraft this year
- make the baby some new clothes
- make hubby a sweater (I have never made him a sweater, just hats, scarves and such)
- play piano at least once a week

Intellectual
- read at least two fun books a month (cover to cover), Jane Austen would be a good start
- read at least one spiritual book a month. Only one, so I have more time to ponder, be guided and to write down my thoughts. I think I might start with something from Blessed Mother Theresa.
- try to learn something new every day. I homeschool, so that shouldn't be too hard.
- read 4 difficult reads this year. I will have to think about this one.
- read 4 biographies this year. Any suggestions?

Financial
- get debt free, finally.
- start saving for the long term.
- get a good emergency fund underway.
- start saving for a future adoption.
- start saving for a family vehicle or repairs (we have an almost 14 year old van)
- contribute to the kids savings more regularly

For the Greater Good
- take part in a 40 days for life
- write to our sponsored children at least twice a year, each.
- take the kids to the seniors home (their request) and visit, play games, read
- pray for others
- give more to good causes (maybe this should be under financial, too)
- make something for charity
- be an example

The list is long and probably even the most organized person in the world couldn't accomplish everything, but it is a try. Am I missing something?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are not missing anything. Be careful with a list like this, it can work in the opposite way and make you feel like a failure, because as you know, no one could accomplish all of this. As long as you keep that into perspective, it's a great list to pray about.My counselor husband (living one day at a time) doesn't believe in "new years resolutions" because we should always be striving to do better and putting dates on things, can make us fail. I really liked your exercise post---and might have to try it after this baby. I do already have a ton of Walk Away the Pounds CD's though, but might have to get that book!!I'm glad it made you feel energized and better.my 5 year old sent your 6 year a letter full ofUS flag stickers today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, I know this list is exhaustive. I don't plan on doing it all at once or all this coming year. I am the opposite of your husband, if I don't write it down, it doesn't get done. Two years ago, I made a list of all of the things that we really needed to buy or get done. I was surprised how quickly goals were met when you have a list. Some of the things on the list are for my hubby to do (build a play structure). I find that if my husband and I make these lists, I don't forget the things that are important for him to get done. He never puts a priority on "his" needs or wants and just waits and waits. I feel bad if I don't know what he needs or wants to get done, but then again, I can't read minds and neither can he. This list gives a list of things to save for, too. Again, if I don't write those things down, we spend money aimlessly and complain that we never save.The exercises are great. You should take a look at the website. You can try before you buy and there is a section on mommies, too. You can see lots of before and after photos of moms post-partum using T-tapp. That motivated me to give it a shot. I don't want to waste money and jump on the wrong bandwagon. Been there and done that.God Bless,Tina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...