Monday, December 19, 2011

All I Want

I stumbled upon the following video for the first time this morning. It was linked to in an email I received. Just listen and see if it jerks at your heartstrings as it does to mine.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjMz0MmYejQ&w=420&h=315]

James 1:27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows* in their affliction and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

I have never mentioned this before, but my husband and I have often talked about adoption. Perhaps, it is because of the numerous miscarriages and the grief of losing a child or it is a longing that is unexplicable. I don't know. I have always wanted to adopt. We even looked into adoption a few years ago, but didn't persue it because my husband hadn't been in the country long enough. There is hardly a day that goes by that I don't think of adopting.

I believe that God has planted a seed in our hearts, but the time is not yet ripe. I am listening, and praying about what to do next. While online, I always stumble upon websites that have to do with adoption. I even checked books out at the local library to learn more.

I spent a good part of the early morning looking at this website. I was reading another mom's blog and she mentioned Reece's Rainbow. I am a curious cat, so I had to look and read and read and read. I was disturbed by how many people gave up their babies for adoption, at first. I then realized, that their situations must have been desperate. Who wants to give up their child? I fell in love with a few of them. Then I realized the cost of the adoptions. How could I ever raise $25,000 - $35,000 dollars? God will provide, I know that. Right now we are expecting, so I will pray for these children. Everyone deserves a forever family. I got one. I wasn't legally adopted, but I had legal guardians who cared for me and loved me.

We also learned by stumbling once again on other blogs, that grants are available for Canadians. I have bookmarked a blog especially for Canadians called Adoption Magazine. I will continue to read and learn and foster the seed planted by Our Lord. Someday.... someday we might just adopt. If it is God's will, it will be done.

I am not naive (maybe a little) or romantic about the adoption process. I know that it can be gruelling, frustrating and can involve numerous tears. I know that you have to trust God and be extremely patient. I don't claim to know everything about adoption, but I am willing to learn.

For now, we try to do our little part in helping children in other parts of the world through Child Sponsorship and donating rabbits or chickens or blankets when we can through Chalice. We give because we can and ought to. Our sponsored children are part of God's family and ours. We received a beautiful card from one of our children a few weeks ago. She wrote to us in English! We were thrilled and embarassed that our Spanish is horrendous. Our foster child is doing very well and her mom came home. She was being raised by her father and older brother, but the sponsorship brought the family hope and a wife and mother. I don't take the credit for this. We are all instruments and we can play our part in God's great concerto. I thank God for the opportunity to be touched by Abigail and her family. We have so much to learn.

St. Jerome Emiliani, patron of orphans pray for us.
St. Joseph, foster father of Jesus, pray for us.
Mary, mother of all God's children, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...