Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pumpin Bread and Other Recipes

I had a request the other day, to send a friend a few of my recipes. It has been crazy around here and I am just getting to a computer now. I thought that I should share a few recipes with everyone, since grain free recipes are still fairly difficult to come by. The first recipe that I am sharing is a staple in our house. It is often made for breakfast. I have a few variations, so that it isn't always the same old thing. But, to be honest, I don't mind eating my version of pumpkin bread everyday. I console myself by saying that even though it is another man's dessert or snack, it packs more punch than a bowl of cereal. I grew up on breakfast cereal. It is convenient, quick to scarf down, sugary and I must admit that more are pretty yummy. Unfortunately, there isn't a grain free alternative that fits our pocketbook, so we eat this...

Grain Free Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients:
3/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
2 1/2 tsp. homemade baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda (non-aluminum kind)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup soft butter
1 cup mashed pumpkin or squash
2 Tbsp milk (I use almond)
2 eggs
2 Tbsp coconut
optional: nuts, raisins, sunflower seeds, bakers chocolate (chopped)

Mix together the first seven ingredients, then add the next three. Beat well with an electric mixer for about a minute. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until it is thoroughly blended. Pour into a greased 9x13 glass baking dish and bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. You can also bake this as a bundt cake or 2 loaves, adjusting the baking time accordingly. I prefer the 9x13 out of sheer laziness.

Now for a few variations, I mix it up like this:
1. omit pumpkin & pumpkin pie spice, add 1 medium banana mashed and 1 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 cup of applesauce
2. omit pumpkin & pumpkin pie spice, add 2 medium bananas and 1 tsp. vanilla
3. omit pumpkin & pumpkin pie spice, add 1 small grated zucchini, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 cup of applesauce
4. add whatever options you like, chopped hazelnuts or pecans are our favourite. We love chopped up baker's chocolate over chocolate chips because we can't stomach chocolate chips (too processed). Dried cranberries or raisins are nice additions. Try any variation that you love. I add options to increase the good vitamins and minerals, it fills up my kiddos and because I like it.

Homemade Baking Powder
2 Tbsp baking soda (non-aluminum kind)
4 Tbsp arrowroot, potato or tapioca flour (choose one)
4 Tbsp cream of tartar
Mix the ingredients together and store in an airtight container.

This next recipe was also a special request. It was on last week's meal plan. It turned out alright, but I found out that my kiddos are not a great fan of parsnips. I am thinking of drizzling with maple syrup before popping this into the oven. Any thoughts?

Apple, Parsnips and Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients:
4 parsnips, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
1 small onion, sliced
2 apples, cored and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 450F.
Place sweet potatoes, parsnips and apples with garlic and onions in a covered and well greased baking dish. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and perhaps some maple syrup. Roast for 40-50 minutes until tender.

Kath, I hope you read this. Love and miss you girl. If you have any questions, just let me know. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I hope and your lovely family are well.

God Bless and happy cooking everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...