Thursday, November 24, 2011

An Eventful Advent

With everyone, including me, having been run down with nasty colds, lack of energy and drowziness, I haven't really got much ready for Advent. In the past, I tried to plan for Advent, but somehow life always happens and has other plans. I have come to realize that a lack of planning and spontaneity is pretty much how our family functions. Actually, I often plan, but the plans get thrown overboard for various reasons. This Advent, I vowed to do what feels natural, so that my plans stay in tact and I can finally feel successful at something. I am learning that accepting our situation as it is, is key to my sanity. So this year, we are doing two Advent Calendars:

♥ Book Calendar
♥ Movie Calendar

I have seen other homeschooling moms post about the book calendar in previous years. This year, I finally have enough Advent/Christmas books to make this happen. I bought a lot of books second hand when I saw them available, so as not to hurt the budget come Advent & Christmas times. God provided in the greatest way so that I can share our list. Some of the books are from Oma and are in German, which is exciting for me. We don't read the German books as often as we should.

ADVENT BOOK CALENDAR
Der Nussknacker by Susa Hämmerle
The Legend of Old Belfana by Tomie de Paola
The Log Cabin Christmas by Ellen Howard
Saint Nicholas The Real Story of the Christmas Legend by Julie Stiegemeyer
Vom Nikolaus den Kindern erzählt by Barbara Cratzius
The Miracle of St. Nicholas by Gloria Whelan
The Legend of the Pointsettia by Tomie de Paola
Christmas in the Old Stable by Angela Lamatsch
The Littlest Angel by Charles Tazewell
The Clown of God by Tomie de Paola
The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Anderson
Our Lady of Guadalupe by Father Lovasik
Hanna's Christmas by Melissa Peterson
The Christmas Candle by Richard Paul Evans
The Huron Carol by Frances Tyrel
The Cat on the Dovrefell by Tomie de Paola
The Star Tree by Gisela Cölle
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski
The Legend of the Candy Cane by Lori Walburg
A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote
The Legend of the Christmas Rose by William H. Hooks
Christmas in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Die Weihnachtsgeschichte den Kindern erzählt by Reinhard Abeln
Die Weihnachtsgeschichte by Anastassija Archipowa

My husband has always collected videos and now dvds. So we have an extended collection of vhs and dvd Christmas movies. I also added a few saint movies on feast days and we are watching Bernadette the Princess of Lourdes from CCC on the feast of the Immaculate Conception. Again, the list is a mix of German and English movies. We saved the longer ones for the weekends and kept the shorter ones for the weekdays. I don't know if we will really watch them all, but it is our advent calendar, so we have to give an effort. Where there was an English movie version of the German one we have, I tried to provide the title and link to it. You will also see the I have the Sissi collection as the 25th movie. This trilogie always ran on German television during the holidays, so it is a holiday tradition and not a Christmas movie. I was surprised to see that there is an English version. It will take us a few days or maybe a week to work through this one, but who cares, it is the holidays, right? A few of the movies are my hubby's favourites, so I can't not watch them. You can guess which ones those are. I will watch them with him and the kids, explaining again that the language and behaviour is not acceptable and that blah, blah, blah. You know what I mean. Anyway, here is our movie advent calendar.

ADVENT MOVIE CALENDAR
Franklin's Magic Christmas
Polar Express
Francis Xavier and the Samurai's Lost Treasure
Under the Greenwood Tree
The Toy that Saved Christmas
Nicholas the Boy Who Became Santa
Winnie Puuh - Honigsüße Weihnachtszeit
Bernadette the Princess of Lourdes
Lauras Weichnachtsstern
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Little House on the Prairie - Christmas
Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Franklin's Christmas Gift
Mickey's Magical Christmas
Home Alone
Jingle All the Way
Betty und Ihre Schwestern (Little Women)
Die Schöne und das Biest: Weihnachtszauber (Beauty and the Beast)
Merry Winter Wish Thomas & Friends
Das Weihnachtshaus (Thomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage)
Ein Engel in der Stadt (When Angels Come to Town)
Wunder einer Weihnacht - Die Weihnachtsgeschichte (Christmas Story)
The Nativity Story
Sissi Trilogie (The Sissi Collection)

God Bless and have a blessed advent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...