Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Thanksgiving

In Canada, we celebrate Thanksgiving on the 2nd Monday in October. This year, that happened to be on October 10. Unfortunately, my dearest husband had to work that Monday morning. So it was up to the kids and I to prepare the feast and decorate the kitchen. That was quite the morning.

I usually do Thanksgiving dinner on the Sunday, the day before the actual Thanksgiving holiday. My hubby had to work on Sunday, too. Needless to say, he wasn't happy and our Thanksgiving weekend was spent remembering why we need to be thankful for my husband's job amoung other things.

I have mentioned before that we try to live simply and make do where we can, and Thanksgiving decor was no exception to this. We looked around the house and scrounged up enough things to make a pretty centrepiece for our table. Actally, my 11 year old big guy did the arrangements.

On Pinterest, we found some cute placemats and printables. We printed the ones that we wanted and used these for our decor as well. The kids filled in and coloured the placemats, which I then laminated.
Our dinnerware is simple and cheap. We bought these on the first day we immigrated to Canada. I hope to thrift some nicer dinnerware someday, but until then, this is what I've got. I know it doesn't match, oh well.

I was so busy making the meal that I didn't even get around to taking picture of the good food. We had a turkey, of course. I made home-made grain free bread on Sunday to make our crockpot-stuffing. Noah (11) made the home-made cranberry sauce and helped cut up potatoes for the mash. We had two types of mash, regular mashed potatoes and I tried out a recipe for sweet potato mash which was divine. We also had peas and carrots. Hubby came home before I got the gravy made, so we did without, which surprisingly nobody missed. Dessert was a yummy grain-free brownie. I know it wasn't a pumpkin pie, but I was really pressed for time (we had Thanksgiving dinner at noon when hubby came home). I didn't plan ahead very well, but it all worked out. It usually does.

We spent the afternoon (after the dishes), playing, lounging, drinking eggnog (hubby insisted) and eventually we went for a walk and took the kids to the playground. It was a beautiful day for a playground visit.
I am so thankful for my husband and children. They are the only family that I have in this city. Both families live so far away, so you really learn to be thankful for what is right in front of you. I am nothing without them and thank God each day that He has placed each one of them in my life.

Thank you for stopping by. God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to you and your family!God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...