Wednesday, October 26, 2011

St. Gerard's Prayer List

If you are Catholic, then you have probably heard of St. Gerard. You have likely also heard that he is patron of expectant mothers. But there is a chance, that you have stumbled upon this blog and you are neither Catholic or have you ever heard of St. Gerard.

Saint Gerard was born in Italy in 1726. He joined the Redemptorists as a lay brother when he was 23. He has very pious and possessed an extrodinary wisdom, which allowed him to councel communtities of reliious women. Gerard also looked out for the poor. Being poor himself, he had a particular understanding of their needs. He often gave away all of his earnings and I read somewhere that he used his earning to buy beautiful flowers to set before the tabernacle. He told Jesus, "I haven't taken care of you, now you must take care of us." (the quote isn't exact, but you get the point). He was a selfless man.

Saint Gerard also had mystic abilities. He was also know to have have the gift of prophecy, healing, bilocations, the reading of consciences and he even predicted the exact day and hour of his death. During his life, he performed many miracles. One of his miracles involved helping a woman during childbirth. That is how he became invoked as the patron of mothers. I also read somewhere that a handkerchief of his was given to a woman in labour and that her birth went very well. After this, the handkerchief was passed from expectant mother to expectant mother until it was in threads.

It was after my second miscarriage that I was introduced to Saint Gerard. I wore a Saint Gerard medal through my entire last pregancy. The baby held the medal in his hand immediately after his birth.
I received my medal, a handkercheif and prayers from St. Lucy's Parish in New Jersey. If you are in need of special protection from Saint Gerard, contact the rectory at the parish.

If you want to learn more about Saint Gerard, I found this little booklet from The Little Flowers Press an inspirational read.


I just want to finish this post saying that I appologize for not having posted this earlier this month. Saint Gerard's feast day is October 16th. Another thing that I want to mention is that I moderate a Saint Gerard's prayer list on the Catholic Charlotte Mason yahoo group. Your name can be added to this list by emailing me directly at tina_saschaplus3 at hotmail dot de or by leaving me a comment. You can follow my sidebar link to join the group. The Saint Gerard's Prayer List is posted on Sundays and is updated after each and every email that I receive. Before you leave, please pray the St. Gerard Prayer for motherhood for all mothers who are expecting, trying to conceive, having suffered from miscarriage or praying for aid in being open to life.

Prayer for Motherhood
O glorious Saint Gerard, powerful intercessor before God, and wonder worker of our day, I call upon you and seek your help. You who always fulfilled God's will on earth, help me to do God's holy will. Intercede with the Giver of life, from whom all parenthood proceeds, that I may conceive and raise children who will please God in this life, and be heirs to the kingdom of heaven. Amen.

God Bless and thank you for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww,I love that picture, it brought tears to my eyes....I also love St Gerard!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...