Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Girly Curtains - DIY

A few weeks ago, while thrifting, we found a really pretty queen sized vintage sheet. I really wanted to turn them into curtains, but I wasn't exactly sure how. Today, while "pinning", I found a pin that sparked my interest. The tutorial was easy enough to follow.

If you want to make these curtains, you need:

a queen sized vintage sheet
lots of thread
sewing machine
cutting mat and rotary cutter

For a nice ruffle, common knowledge is to use material double the width of your finished size. In the original pattern, two pieces were sewn together to get the fullness. So here's my logic: one width of a sheet is double half of a sheet. (I was going to use half of the width for each panel) So before I cut the sheet in half, I cut my ruffle material. To make these somewhat like mine you need to cut:

2 strips 6inches x the full width of the sheet (top ruffle)
2 strips 8inches x the full width of the sheet (bottom ruffle)
2 strips 3inches x full width of the sheet (tabs)

Here are my cut pieces:

When you have your strips cut, you need to do a few things. Now you cut the sheet in half down the middle and hem the raw edges. Next, you need to make a hem on each of the ruffle pieces. I folded the edge over 1/4inch twice to make my hem, ironed it and sewed it in place.

Then, I ironed the 3 inch wide strips, right sides together, in half lengthwise and sewed them with a 1/4 inch seam. At this point you have two really long inside out strips. The original tutorial suggest cutting tabs out of your material that are 3 inches x 7 inches. You save yourself the time and trouble of cutting out individual tabs by making these long strips that just need to be cut in 7 inch lengths. Are you still with me? These 7 inch strips now need to be turned and ironed. I asked my daughter to do this so I could get on with the gathering.

Next, I used a basting stich to sew along the tops of each of the ruffle pieces. I gathered them and pinned according to the original directions. My tabs ended up being a little closer together than in the original. All in all, I am happy with the result. My daughter loves them and that is what counts. It was dark by the time I took the picture, so I can't wait to see them in the sunlight. Bit by bit, my daughter's room will be finished. We are hoping to redo it in a vintage look. Hubby is going to do some shelving above her daybed when he gets time. He will also repaint it and Mia and I plan on making some pillows, and other girly diy crafts to decorate it.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...