Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cloth Diapering - Soakers and Longies

In an earlier post, I mentioned that we cloth diaper. I haven't added any new diaper pants to the collection for a long time. Most of them are showing signs of extreme usage and I needed to do something in order for us to continue using cloth diapers. Without a soaker or plastic cover, our cloth diapers are useless. A new plastic cover runs between $13-$15 Canadian around here. A wool soaker is upwards of $30. I prefer the wool soakers to the plastic covers because of their breathability, ease of use, and comfort. I have a few fleece covers, too that I like. Paddy likes the one with flowers, but it is very girly.

I knew that I had to make a few. I am working on a crochet cover from this pattern, but that could take a few more days to finish. I found a few sewing pattern that I liked, so I whipped up a soaker and a longie last night when the kiddos were in bed.

These are longies from this pattern.

I machine felted two sweaters yesterday. One of the sweaters was an old sweater from hubby and the other was a lambswool sweater from the thrift store. The one from the thrift store had a few tiny holes in it, so I got it for an extra discount. Let me tell you that this was dumb, really dumb. I thought the holes would disappear would felt together. Instead, the whole grew bigger and multiplied. Needless to say, I couldn't make longies out of it and I was lucky to find enough pieces to make a little size xl soaker.


I made the soaker using the instructions from here and the pattern from here. I also sewed in an extra wetzone layer made of two layers of the ugly holy wool sweater.I used the waistband for the longies, so I doubled took the measurents for the leg bands and waist and doubled them in the width and sewed the raw edges along the openings. One other difference that I made in sewing was that I sewed the sides up first and then attached the waistband. I sewed the short ends of the waistband together to make a tube, folded it in half along the complet length and with the right side facing the right side of the soaker, sewed it in the round. I think they both turned out great. My little guy loves them both and sported them for me, but unfortunately I didn't get a picture of him in the soaker.

I hope to make some more longies for the winter as jammy pants. Paddy sleeps in our room in the basement and it gets cool down there. He is a typical toddler, who kicks off his blankets at night. Somewhere packed in a box is a sleepsack in his size, but until that is dug out wool longies will have to do.

Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...