Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Shrine of the Holy Innocents


"Often children who have died before birth have no grave or headstone, and sometimes not even a name. At The Church of The Holy Innocents, we invite you to name your child(ren) and to have the opportunity to have your baby's name inscribed in our "BOOK OF LIFE". Here, a candle is always lit in their memory. All day long people stop to pray. On the first Monday of every month, our 12:15pm Mass is celebrated in honor of these children and for the comfort of their families."
The above mentioned quote comes directly from the Church of the Holy Innocents website.
After I miscarried, I posted a note on my facebook page. A seminarian friend of mine sent me a message. It was so sweet, but I didn't actually read it until today. I noticed that he sent me some links that he received from the nuns at the convent next door. He is in a seminary half-way across the country, so I figured they wouldn't really be of any help to me. Was I dumb blind, or what?

My friend sent me a link to Morning Light Ministry, a Catholic ministry dedicated to helping bereaving parents of miscarried, stillborn, and children who died in infancy. There are prayers, words of comfort and many more aids for bereaving parents. You can order a special prayer card in your baby's name. I plan on visiting this website again to read and to order a special prayer card.

My dear friend also sent me a link to the Centre for Reproductive Loss. After reading a little here and there, I stumbled upon the "links" icon. I was suprised that there are so many organizations dedicated to fertility, infant loss, miscarriage and abortion. Again I felt dumb humbled, that I am not alone in my loss. One particular link caught my attention, the link to the Shrine of the Holy Innocents. I was born on the feast of the Holy Innocents. My mom told me that I was the only baby born that day that wasn't stillborn. What an creepy thought. Why did I live? Why did those other parents have to suffer so much. My mom was a teen mom. Life isn't always fair.

Anywho. The Shrine of the Holy Innocents has a book of names of children who were miscarried, stillborn or died in early infancy. If you have miscarried, experienced a loss through stillbirth or infant death, you can have your baby's name written in this book. You can even receive a certificate that acknowledges the life of your child, no matter how brief it may have been. When I saw this, I stopped what I was doing to blog about it. If you have ever experienced a tragic loss of a little loved one, I urge you to check out the links I have mentioned.

On another note, my daughter helped me finish our baby casket. I thought I would share our pictures. It was made with love. Please excuse the bad lighting. My camera takes less than acceptable photos when the object of capture is all white.
The little box is from Michaels. My painter hubby painted it white. My daughter made the cushion and I hotglued trim around it. I sewed on the miraculous medal from one of my homemade earings (I lost the other one a few days before the miscarriage - divine providence?) and hotglued a little rose on top.
I took a petalbox template from homespun-threads.com and cut it out of white felt. The baby will be placed inside a heart shaped box inside of this petalbox. I sewed on a little bit of pink ribbon (all I could find) and a little button. Right now it is just pinned together.
I learned how to do pintucks in order to make a lining for the box. My big boy gave me a rosary to give to the baby. It was one that he used his own money to buy. My little big boy made a picture and I rolled it up for the baby. Everyone contributed somehow or other. The baby contributed by being a good boy while we were working on it.

“Then He took the children in His arms,
placed His hands on each of them,
and blessed them.” Mark 10:16

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Tina Marie, I'm so happy you found this and what a beautiful little box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. I miscarried a baby a few years ago and had her name added to those at the Shrine of the Holy Innocents. May our little ones in heaven intercede for our families and may we rejoice together with them one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NEW YORK STATE STILLBIRTH CERTIFICATE LAW passed 3/21/2012. All Mothers and families can now get stillbirth certificates even retroactively.Contact NYS and NYC Depts of Health for applications. God Bless Jeanne Frey,Bellmore

    ReplyDelete
  4. MASS FOR ANGELINA & ALL BABIES ON HART ISLAND CHURCH OF THE HOLY INNOCENTS -SHRINE OF THE UNBORN 128 West 37th Street,NYC, NY 10018 August 6th, 2012 12:15 PM Mass Looking to find families of these children? Is your baby buried in this City cemetery? Potters Field ? Come pray for them Jeanne Frey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how beautiful. I wish I could go to a Mass there. My baby is buried in one of our city's cemeteries. August 6th is the day my Godparents married. I will light a candle and keep everyone in my prayers. Thank you for sharing. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to all who attended the Mass for Angelina and The Babies on Hart Island(700,000+ babies).Thank you all who prayed with us on this day for the little ones. They were all registered in the BOOK OF LIFE and the Shrine of the UNBORN. Mass televised on Catholic TV- net(TV)show called Currents video#080812 posted you tube 8/8. This can also be viewed Stillparents NY web site videos. God Bless, Jeanne Frey Legislative advocate (International MISSFoundation)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...