Friday, September 30, 2011

Living Simply - Homemade Wipes Solution


I mentioned in an earlier post that we cloth diaper (most of the time). Before the baby was born, I made homemade baby wipes. I reused old receiving blankets and thin baby hooded bath towels to make two sided wipes. I sewed up about 50 of these and made my own wipe solution. I searched the internet for recipes and took what I had on hand to make my own wipes solution. I use the following:





Wipe Solution
1 quart mason jar
4 cups water
4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. castile soap (I use Mountain Sky Honey Almond or Dr. Bronner's)
4 drops tea tree essential oil
4 drops lavender essential oil



I read that it is a good idea to use distilled water because the solution tends to keep longer and doesn't go rancid. I use tap water because I have it on hand. So far, I haven't had any problems. Tea tree oil and lavender oils are said to be anti-bacterial and keep my solution from going rancid. I just put everything in the jar and shake it up. It's that easy.

This solution lasts me a really, really long time because I use it diluted in water. I have a bowl of water on the shelf above the change table and put a few tablespoons in it every time I change the water. I have a stack of wipes in the top drawer of the change table and use them as needed.

The white bowl (an old microwave bowl, that no longer has a lid = useless in my kitchen) is the water/wipes bowl. Yes, I confess that I do buy diapers. I use cloth during the day and disposables by night. A box of 156 diapers at Walmart for $17 lasts a really long time. I haven't found a cloth solution (that I can afford) that keeps my baby, his pjs, bed etc. dry overnight, so I gave in to disposables. It is not ideal in my opinion, but it is like hugging half a tree.

God Bless and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...