Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Getting Ready and Making Things

In the last couple of posts I mentioned that I was planning and getting ready for the new school year. I am trying to be as organized as possible, but that is not always possible. There is hope, though. I always hope. A bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils, new books and a plan = hope. As I organize, I also hope to share with you some of my creations that make my life a little easier.

Have you heard of the Sue Patrick's workbox system? If you haven't you need to go here, but don't forget to come back. If you have then you probably have pondered how it could work for you? I have pondered for two years now. Here is a good list of how some people work their workboxes. The first year we set everything up like this:
All the shoe racks took up a lot of space and since then we have moved. I needed something less cumbersome. I didn't want to have to think to much, so it had to be simple or we wouldn't use it. The kids do a lot of the same subjects each day. We decided to use hanging file boxes. I have hanging files and leave the main subjects in place with activity file folders for extra activities hang between the main subjects. Each child has 12 hanging files, although they don't always have work in all 12 folders. The plan is to list everyone's work in my planner and then make sure everyone has extra activites for fun and has all of the supplies they need for each subject. Our file boxes look like this:
Inside they have a morning routine chart that is laminated. Each day they can check off everything they did. It also makes them accountable for things like feeding the dog or brushing their teeth.

This year, they will have workbox numbers again. I wasn't sure how I wanted to organize it last year, so I didn't bother. The only problem with leaving out the numbers is that it is easy to tell mom that everything is done and not be accountable. I have one child in particular whom I need to have accountable to me. I look forward to implementing the workbox number cards again. They will each have a simple blank board that is laminated with velcro dots on each square. Each number tag will be in each of their files. When the file folders contents have been completed they may retrieve the tag and stick it on the master card. This will hopefully deter a certain someone from getting behind because he said he did all of his subjects. I might even keep this one's child's tags with me and upon completion of a file folder and my nod of approval, a tag will be granted. If you are on the look-out for some ready made tags, there are some great ones on www.sunflowerschoolhouse.com.

I also wanted to make some. I like creating things and sharing them with others. I hadn't seen any that had a Catholic theme, so I promtly worked on making some Marian workbox tags. You are free to use them. I think they turned out ok enough to share. (I am a perfectionist, sorry). You can follow this link to download them on scribd. Here is a look at what they look like.


Please let me know what you think of them and leave a comment. If I get time, I hope to make more Catholic themed workbox items.

Thank you for stopping by and God Bless!

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...