Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 24th ~ Feast of Saint John the Baptist


Prayer to Saint John the Baptist
O God, You raised up St. John the Baptist to prepare a perfect people for Christ. Fill Your people with the joy of possessing His grace, and direct the minds of all the faithful in the way of peace and salvation.
Grant that as St. John was martyred for truth and justice, so we may energetically profess our Faith in You, and lead others to the Way, the Truth, and Eternal Life. Amen.

Tomorrow is the memorial of the birthday of Saint John the Baptist. As a result, I asked my daughter to look up some activites for his Feast Day tomorrow. She looked in my copy of "The Big Book of Catholic Customs and Traditions" to find some ideas how we can celebrate it. (I am trying to incorporate more feasts into daily life) It suggested to do a few neat things:
* Make a celebration table
* Look at baptismal pictures of each family member
* Eat a snack with honey
* Water Play

When we lived in Germany and the kiddos went to a Waldorf kindergarten, they celebrated Johanni (Feast for Saint John the Baptist) with a bonfire. We hope the weather is favourable enough to do a bonfire and plan on using this blessing to bless the bonfire.

Since yesterday was supposed to be the nicest day of the week according to the weatherman, we decided to do some water play in memory of the baptizing Saint. Dumb as I am, I questioned my daughter about the significance of playing in water for the feast day. A moment later came the duh' effect. Then I set up the water slide and planned for an afternoon in my beloved backyard.

Have a blessed Feast Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...