Sunday, April 10, 2011

Warm Kasha Salad

We have a new favourite ingredient, kasha. A gluten free and grain free super food in my humble opinion. Kasha is another word for buckwheat. It is actually a fruit, not a grain. It has been proven to lower cholesterol and blood glucose levels. It is very versatile and tasty. But these are not the only reasons why we eat it.

We eat kasha because we needed ...
- something different to eat
- something than can be used instead of pasta
- something that can be added to soup (I miss barley)
- the kids don't like quinoa as much as I do

The following recipe was the first meal I had ever made with Kasha. It got us hooked on kasha immediately. We were hungry after a busy morning of home schooling and chasing the baby. I needed something quick that was going to fill everyone up and taste great. If it doesn't taste any good, then it won't do a very good job of filling anyone up.


Warm Kasha Salad
1 cup Wolff's Kasha (I have never used any other brand)
1 egg
2 cups of gluten free vegetable broth
2 cups of diced vegetables (carrots, onions, peppers, etc)
oil
salt, pepper and favourite seasonings
handful of greens (I used baby spinach)
salad dressing

To prepare the kasha you mix 1 cup of kasha with one egg. Coat the kasha with the egg and fry in a non-stick fring pan until the kasha is dry. This is recommened on the box, so I do this. I have never made it another way, so I don't know if it is necessary. The kasha turns out great when you do this step.

Boil 2 cups of vegetable broth, or any broth that you may have. I like to use vegetable broth during Lent. I prefer to use the vegetable broth from Campbell's. I make all of my meals from scratch, so I cheat and used packaged broth. Now add the egg coated kasha to the boiling broth and simmer for 7 minutes. The kasha should be tender and not dried out. Stir it with a spoon to fluff it up. I always taste it to see if it is done. You may need to cook it longer, we live at a pretty high altitude.

While the kasha is cooking, I fry up some veggies in a little oil. You can use more or less than the 2 cups I suggested. You can stir fry any that you like or have on hand. My kiddos love carrots, peppers, onions, and mushrooms if they are the canned ones. Don't ask, they are not my preference, but my five year old won't eat the fresh ones, just the canned kind. You could fry up some chicken, beef or pork to add if you like. I made ours vegetarian. Season to taste with salt, pepper and your favourite seasonings.

When the veggies are tender and the kasha is cooked, combine and stir well. Place a serving over a bed of greens and drizzle with your favourite salad dressing. We use a home made poppy seed dressing. I can't seem to find the link to the recipe. If i find it, I will post it. This is great served with fish as a humble Friday meal during Lent. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...