Monday, April 18, 2011

Easter Cards

I can't believe that yesterday was Palm Sunday. Lent has flown by unusually quickly this year. It is Holy Week and we are trying to incorporate this into our studies. I made a Stations of the Cross game for the bigger kids, a Stations of the Cross file folder game for my kindergartner, made a Stations prayer booklet and pulled out last year's Stations activity box to play. (Follow the links to find the tutorials and print-outs.)
In anticipation of Easter, we made Easter cards. I often look to Art Projects for Kids for inspiration and ideas. I saw a really neat idea for making Easter cards on the website and tweaked it a bit.
First of all, we used water color pencils from Michaels. Secondly, we used images that we found in A Catholic How-to-Draw and A Year With God, both resources from Catholic Heritage Curricula. I followed the rest of the directions from Art Projects for Kids. I think that the cards turned out really well. Here they are from youngest to oldest...
5 Year Old
8 Year Old
10 Year Old
My attempt and example for the kids.

This is more fun than I thought it would be. I was blown away by the effort the kids put into each and every detail. I was disappointed in the quality of the watercolor pencils. I wouldn't buy these again. Even though we are trying to live simply, cheap art supplies are not the place to cut back spending. The cheaper the art tools and supplies, the higher the level of frustration and the greater the risk that the children will hate to create. Art is a very important aspect of the Catholic faith. Just look in our churches, the Vatican and on prayer cards. It should inspire our children to strive towards holiness. Art is about patience and perseverance towards perfecting oneself. Have a blessed Holy Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...