Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Life With a New Addition

We haven't had much time for blogging the last couple of weeks, which I believe is understandable. Is understandable even a word? Anyway, life has taken us for a whirl.

I am typing one-handed with a baby strapped to my chest. Just 3 short weeks ago, our baby was born into our family. The labour and birth were relatively easy. I called the midwife at 7:00am with irregular, but somewhat strong contractions. I had a bit of show, so I just wanted to know if this is finally it. I had been experiencing contractions for a number of weeks. At times they were quite regular, but then they would stop. At 9:00/9:30am, the midwife came. In the meantime, the kids, dad and I threw food in the slowcooker for supper and cut up some veggies and cheese for lunch. The midwife wanted to know how far along I was and gave me a qick check-up, only to find that I had already dilated 5-6cm. The kids all got the birth-day toys (toys we had bought and put away until the day of delivery). The boys each got a lego set and Maria got a newborn baby doll. The boys were busy building legos, the midwife was filling out paperwork, daddy went to buy coffee (we ran out) and I worked through my contractions. It was very peaceful. When Sascha came home, he began filling the kiddie pool in our living room. We had planned a water birth. When the pool was finally filled, I could hardly wait to get in. The contractions were getting stronger and the warm pool was very soothing. My water broke somewhere between 11:30 and 11:45am (I wasn't watching the clock, but I remember reading it in the protocol of the birth). At 12:02, I finally gave birth to a big baby boy, weighing 9lbs, 13oz. and was 22" long. I feel I must mention that this is my first Canadian born baby and he weighed almost 1 1/2 lbs more than my biggest German born baby. He was luckily born 9 days before his due date! Is there something in the water here that makes such large babies??? This was my first home-birth and the first birth that wasn't induced, the first completely drug and intervention free. The midwife was very hands off. She lovingly pressed on my back when my contractions were unbearable and provided some protection against ripping and tearing. I had one little tear, which was a far cry from the three previous episiotomies and tears beyond belief. No sewing was required and I was feeling great. I would do it all over again.

Although the birth was picture perfect and fairly easy, the last three weeks have been very trying. Our little guy lost almost 17% of his birth weight. He is three weeks old and is still 7% under his birth weight. We are working hard on getting a good milk supply going, are supplementing and praying like crazy. The stress of having baby weighed every few days by the midwives isn't helping either. I feel like I am back in school, hoping for an "A" after working hard on my assignments. So if you don't see anything from us for the next days or weeks, you know why. Keep Patrick in your prayers that he quickly regains his birth weight and that we can begin to really enjoy him. We waited almost 4 years for this addition and can hardly beleive that God had entrusted us such a beautiful baby.



Lord give us the strength to do Your will and bless all of those who have been praying for us.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! Saying a prayer for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: Patrick wasn't at his birth weight yet on his 5 week appointment. He is being weighed again at 6 weeks and we are praying that he has finally reached birth weight. On a side note, he is no longer being supplemented and is only bf. We saw a weight gain at the last weigh in, but that happened after he lost again. We hope his weight in only UP from now on.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...