Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes

On February 11th, we celebrate the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes. Our Lady of Lourdes is a very special day for our family. We all love the story of St. Bernadette and Our Lady. My daughter and my godmother's name is Bernadette and my daughter is named after Mary and has Bernadette in her name (Maria Christina Bernadette).

February 11th also happens to be the World Day of the Sick (proclaimed by Pope John Paul II.) Although a little off-topic, I find it relavent to mention that we attended Mass last February 11th and I was annointed. Although, I was not gravely ill or elderly, we had not been able to conceive for over three years. Our dreams of having a large family seemed impossible, but nothing was impossible with God. I had recently found out that I had a gluten intolerance, which can cause infertility. I took a leap of faith and chose to be annointed and asked for healing so that we may conceive more children. On Holy Thursday of 2009, we found out that I was with child and that the baby's due date was to be December 12th, the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. On Divine Mercy Sunday, I miscarried and was devastated. I had prayed one Rosary after another that day and begged God's mercy. About six weeks later, we found out that I had conceived again. Our baby is due in a few weeks, but I am hoping and praying that our baby will be born on Our Lady's Feast this Thursday or on the Feast of St. Bernadette. I may never go on a pilgrimage for financial reasons, but I believe in Our Lady's powerful intercession and am so glad that I was annointed on last February 11th.

I have spent the morning looking for activities to do to celebrate Our Lady's Feast. Colouring is always high on our priority list. Our favourite Marian colouring books are: Our Lady of Lourdes and Our Blessed Mother Coloring Book. For a free colouring page, go to Charlotte's Blog Waltzing Matilda and click on the sidebar picture of Immaculate Conception.

I plan on making the grotto featured on Catholic Cuisine, but using GF No Name brand Rice Crisps instead of the pebbles. We will also do one of the following two crafts: The Grotto at Lourdes from Art 1 for Young Catholics or Jamie's Grotto Craft on her blog, Lord, Make Me a Saint.

Some other ideas I came across are giving your child a parental blessing with Holy Water from Lourdes and activities shared on the 4RealForum here or here. I have also read about having a completly white meal or baking blueberry muffins and drinking blueberry smoothies. I will have to see where my energy level is at and see what I can do. Have a blessed Feast Day in Our Lady's honour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...