Thursday, December 3, 2009

Gluten Free Herb and Cheese Bread

This bread recipe was adapted from a German gluten free bread recipe that I found and didn't really like. The texture was good, but flavour was lacking. I tweaked it and now it is really yummy and goes great with soups, stews, chili and works well as garlic bread.

Ingredients:

4 cups Gluten Free Flour (more or less depending on your flour)
1 pinch of salt
3 Tbsp of cane suger
1 tsp psyllium husk (don't omit!!! this gives it kneadability)
2 1/2 tsp yeast or one packet
1 egg
400ml warm milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup cheese, grated
1 tsp herb mix of your choice (I use tomato and herb from PC)
flour for rolling out the dough
parchment paper for your baking sheet
1 egg yolk and a little milk to make an eggwash


Preheat oven to 425F.

Mix flour, salt, sugar, psyllium husk and yeast in a large bowl.

Mix separately egg, melted butter and warm milk and add to the flour mixture. Knead to a smooth dough. During the kneading process add cheese and herbs. Divide the dough in half. The original bread recipe tells you to take each half and divide into three parts and braid. This looks very nice. I was lazy and free-formed two loaves on my parchment paper covered baking sheet.

Beat your egg yolk and a little milk and brush it on top of the loaf. I cut slits in the top of my loaf, but you don't have to.

Put a heat resistant mug filled with water on the bottom rack of your preheated. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Mine was ready after 22min. but we live in a dry city at a high elevation. It should look golden brown on top. Enjoy.

We prefer to eat it warm. It does get very hard the next day. Reheat or toast and it is just like freshly baked.

For garlic bread I butter both sides, sprinkle with garlic powder and cheese (opt.) and bake at 350F for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and it looks toasted.

2 comments:

  1. I think amaranth carries psyllium husk. What is it and what does it do? Where did you get yours? I have to try this out. It looks so yummy!! What kind of GF flour did you use?btw we would love to visit with you in real life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not exactly sure what it is, but it makes the bread kneadable. I bought some at Planet Organic on Elbow/Southland, but I am sure that Amaranth carries it. I just asked someone where to find it and bought it and tried it out. I use 6 cups of rice flour, 2 cups potato starch and 1 cup of tapioca starch for my all-purpose mix. I usually double or triple the recipe and keep it in a large container on the counter. It is easy to mix and cheap. We are on a budget right now. I often add bene-fibre (I think that is what it is called) to boost the fibre content. Psyllium husk is pure fibre. I have started to add it to more recipes and haven't noticed it ruining anything. You can also make this bread omitting the cheese and herbs and adding a Tbsp. of grated lemon rind and cinnamon and raisins to taste. If there are no herbs or spices or fruit or cheese (as in the original recipe) it is chalky tasting. Good luck and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...