Thursday, November 19, 2009

Only 10 days left....


There are only 10 days left until Advent begins and I am trying to get everything ready. My dear husband dug out the Advent wreath this past weekend while looking for lights to put up outside. I still need to get some candles, but at least that can be checked off of my list.

In the past, we have tried to do the Jesse Tree, but without an actual tree. Today I found a pattern that goes with the readings and sybols that I have used in the past. I think I can whip this up in a few hours (provided I get the materials soon).

I have also actually tried to organize a Jesse Tea that Alice Gunther shared on her blog a few years ago. It never happened, but I am determined to make it work this year. I will have my work cut out for me, because I have to do it gluten free.

Other Feast Days that we plan on celebrating are:

December 6: Saint Nicholas
Activities and Stories from the Saint Nicholas Center
Bake Saint Nicholas Cookies using my new cookie cutter
The kids will put out their shoes or boots like they did in Germany

December 8: The Immaculate Conception
Novena from November 29-December 7
Colouring Pages and the Story of Our Lady of Lourdes and Movie. I love how she tells Bernadette, "I am the Immaculate Conception."

December 12: The Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
Make a Wreath
Colouring Pages and the Story of Our Lady of Guadalupe by Fr. Lovasik and The Lady of Guadalupe by Tomie dePaola We will cook something mexican (Noah's favourite).

December 13: Saint Lucy
TBA We have never celebrated this before.

I have also been looking at various reading lists and lesson plans for Advent and Christmas. I really like the ones on Elizabeth Foss' blog. They have descriptions to go with her favourite books. Here are the links for reading list one and two. I have put some of the books on hold at the library and will try to buy a few that are available and not out of print. I would like to slowly build our liturgical season library without breaking the bank. These books get read over and over and are always a treat. We bought a few last year and I hope to one day have an extensive library of my own and don't have to worry about returning books before having got to them.

I am also thinking of doing a study of the Nutcracker for Music/German studies. Maria got a beautiful book with CD from Oma last year for Christmas. I have yet to look for activities and Lapbook ideas. I will post more as the days progress and the it gets closer.

This is the first year that we aren't taking December off to do just Advent and Christmas prepartions, so everything we do will be on top of the regular school work load up until the week before Christmas. We are doing a great job staying on track and really long to take time off for the birth of our baby. We will be taking a two week Christmas break and hope to do more activities and maybe even do something for the 12 days of Christmas. It is not that we are lazy, but it is really hard to begin new traditions. I never grew up celebrating the feasts outside Advent/Christmas, Lent/Easter.

2 comments:

  1. Oh you are an angel Tina! Thanks for posting all of this. Just this morning I started to get out all of my books and write down a few plans for what we'll do this advent. It always sneaks up on me every year, and I find myself the night before advent starts trying to pull things together. If I don't plan things, I know they won't get done... especially with a new baby in the house. Tell me about the Jesse Tea.. that sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, I was actually thinking of inviting your family over for the tea. I will send you a private mail.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...