Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Which Version of the Bible do you Read?

For some time, I have been contemplating buying a new Bible. I own two versions of the Bible already. I encounterd these feelings when I first moved to Canada. I researched and read people's ideas on which Bible is the best or the most accurate and enventually purchased the Douay Rheims version of the bible. The only problem for me is that it is very difficult to read and understand. I feel dumb, but when someone suggests a certain passage of inspiration and I look it up, I suddenly don't get the meaning. What I am trying to say is that I feel more at ease reading something in plain English. Instead of going to my Douay Rheims version I have been reading my German Bible (the one featured in the top left corner). It speaks to me. I love that there is an explanation at the beginning of each chapter about the person who wrote the book. There are also footnotes on each page pertaining to phrases that need more close interpretation. I love my Bibel, don't get me wrong, but it isn't until recently that we have had some serious issues. My oldest son is nine and is required to do some Bible reading as part of his studies with Seton. The Douay Rheims version is really difficult for him and he doesn't always understand what is being said, but the German Bible is too hard for him too. Although he can read some German, the Bible is beyond his grasp if you understand what I mean. The younger children can't read German at all. My daughter loves her children's Bible. Next year she will be in a grade where Seton requires Bible reading. What version do I buy? Do you have any suggestions? I am leaning towards the NAB because it is what is used during the Liturgy here in Canada.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tina,I like the NAB for the same reason as you - it matches what we hear in church. However, I also like the NLT version because of it's plain language (it can be a little too "common place" sometimes but that might be good for a young person).Good luck with your search!Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...