Every year the children make portfolios to hold all of their best work, test scores and notebooking activities. We starting making these as a request from our home school facilitator (someone from the school we've enrolled the children in)who checks our work periodically throughout the year. We use 2" three ring binders with clear pockets at the front for displaying artwork, holycards, etc. Inside it is divided up by subject as well as specific sections for some subjects ie. grammar, spelling etc. are part of the Language Arts section. At the end of the year, we have a wonderful collection of all the childrens' best work. We chose to keep these and the rest of the workbooks get thrown out. Each child will have twelve portfolios by the time they finish school.
I take much pride in their portfolios. I guess that is just me being a mom. I put a lot of effort into making special divider pages and in organizing them at the beginning of the year. I found this makes it easier for the children to file away their best work. It also makes it easy for the facilitator to assess all that the children have done. It particularily upset me when I found my daughter's portfolio ripped along the front. It is hard to find these particular binders and not to mention relatively expensive outside of back-to-school sales. I clear taped it back together, but it did not look nice. It has been bugging me ever since.
Today I decided to dig through my scraps and see if I had a few pieces of material I could use to make a cover. I found a piece of pink flannel and a piece of white flannel. I sewed them together using this pattern. It still looked plain and I didn't have enough material to make a pocket, so I thought about it for a while. I looked at the picture of Mary that my daughter had stuck in the clear pocket and suddenly remembered that I had cross-stitched a pattern of the rosary a long time ago. I was going to frame it, but never got around to it. I asked my daughter if she wanted the rosary cross-stich and she was thrilled. I made a border around it and sewed it on. It lookes more like a baby album cover, but my daughter loves it.