Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Canada My Country

We began a study of our great nation last week. We are using Canada My Country as our main resource. We are also waiting for some books from our library from Sleeping Bear Press.
Unfortunately, Sleeping Bear Press doesn't have a complete series like the Discover America Series for Canadians, but they do have a few books from the Discover Canada Province by Province series as well as a few Canadian themed books.

A is for Algonquin: An Ontario Alphabet
B is for Bluenose: A Nova Scotia Alphabet
C is for Chinook: An Alberta Alphabet
F is for Fiddlehead: A New Brunswick Alphabet
G is for Goldenboy: A Manitoba Alphabet
P is for Puffin: A Newfoundland Alphabet

S is for Spirit Bear: A British Columbia Alphabet
M is for Maple: A Canadian Alphabet
M is for Mountie: A Royal Canadian Mountain Police Alphabet
Loonies and Toonies: A Canadian Number Book
Z is for Zambonie: A Hockey Alphabet

The book Canada My Country has a polital map of Canada and suggests that you look at one province each lesson, from lessons 4 and 6-17. After my spending morning tea looking at my favourite blogs, I found a great idea. A fellow Catholic blogger is using the Discover America Series to learn about the different States of America and is scrapbooking information learned with her children. I loved how she used the information to make wonderful scrapbook pages on each state. Children learn so much more that way, than by just trying to retain information by reading alone. I did my own research on the weekend and found some graphics similar to hers and decided to have my kids notebook their way through the Canadian Provinces and Territories.

For those of you who are interested, here are the links to the worksheets we are using:

From KidZone Geography

- Provincial Flag
- Provincial Bird
- Provincial Flower

From WorkSheetWorks.com

- map of each Province / Territory
- crossword puzzles

From Enchanted Learning (members only)

- map of Canada

General Information on Canadian Provinces was obtained from:
Wikipedia free online encyclopedia
About.com

I enlarged the picture of Jessica's son's scrapbooking page to see the list of information that she used and adapted it a little to compile my own lists for each province. That is where I used the information from Wikipedia and about.com. If you are interested in using the information pages, please email me and I would be glad to share.

We worked on our Alberta notebooking pages today and I would like to share my daughter's, since it is already scanned into the computer. I decided to notebook for the sake of simplicity. We have to complete a portfolio for our home school facilitator, so it is easier to use notebooking format and keep them in three ring binders with the rest of our work.



1 comment:

  1. Hello,My husband and I have created a new Catholic homeschool resource site we thought you may be interested in viewing or adding a link from your site to it. We are in British Columbia..Our site can be found at:http://www.thatresourcesite.comBlessings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...