Friday, September 25, 2009

New Totes

I mentioned last week that we had been feeling quite crafty. Well, that didn't change much this week. While the kids did their school work, I sewed like a wild woman. It was a lot of stopping and starting, afterall I am their teacher. They didn't mind the droning of the machine or the finished products that were produced. After making a bunch of playfood (post to follow soon), I made a tote for my beautiful daughter. She loves to carry her Father Lovasik books and prayer cards with her wherever she goes. I made here a messenger bag using this tutorial. Instead of on old pair of jeans, I used and old pair of baggy linen pants and used interfacing in the lining. I sewed a pocket inside that was made to fit her largest prayer cards and ignored their dimensions. I used a different applique and Mia ironed on a little tulip. She loves it. She would have posed with it if she had not been in her pj's.



First of all, I must mention that I am not a purse person. I own two and both are pretty ugly, but the do the job. I am not really a bag person either, but I am finding myself in evermore situations where I wish that I had brought a book. I can't fit books in either of my purses, so I had to make something. If you know me, you know that I am a very resourcefull (stingy) woman and that I like to use up old things before I buy new things. I happen to have a stash of pretty floral calicos left over from little girl dresses that I have made and a few quilts. I scrounged them together and began cutting in the hopes of making this bag. Luckily I had some leftover cotton quilt batting from the sides of the quilt (you know the stuff you cut off the sides before binding) I made for Noah. (I never throw that kind of stuff out. Now you know why. This is what I ended up with. It has already come in handy. Owen fills it before we go to Mass and it is nice to have waiting at Noah's piano lesson or at a doctor's appointment. I can carry books for myself and the little one and my wallet etc. You know what purses or totes are made for, I am just realizing that I should have had one a long time ago. Maybe I did, when I carried around diaper bags all the time. Now all I have to do is check my stash and make myself a stylish new diaper bag for the baby on the way.

1 comment:

  1. oooohhh! I love the bags, those are beautiful! We've been crafting over here too, but all I made was a pencil case.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...