Friday, July 24, 2009

A Couple of Great Book Finds

I am terrible at writing book reviews, but I did want to mention that I found two great prayer books that are inspirational and faith-filled. I love buying prayer books, I think I am a sucker for them. It is not that I can't pray without them, but I really enjoy the comfort and security they lend me.

The first book is called,"Prayerfully Expecting: A Nine Month Novena for Mothers To Be" by Donna-Maria Cooper O'Boyle.

This books assists you in concentrated prayer throughout your pregnancy. Each month is treated as one part of the novena. There are novena prayers to St. Anne, St. Gerard and prayers to the Holy Family and our blessed mother to name a few. There are also beautiful meditations for praying the rosary for your unborn child and room to write your own prayer reflections. It is set up so that you can record certain events and thoughts throughout your pregnancy and makes a wonderful keepsake. It also includes an Apostolic Blessing from the late Pope John Paul II and a forward and blessing by Blessed Mother Theresa of Calcutta. This book would make a great gift to an expectant mother.

The second book find is called, "Bless My Child: A Catholic Mother's Prayer Book" by Julie Cragon.

This book is a wonderful collection of prayers beginning with a prayer for a mother's unborn child and leading us through the various stages of a child's life up to and including adulthood. "She offers Novenas FOR My Child, A Rosary for My Child, and Stations of the Cross for My Child." (back cover) There are numerous prayers to the saints and prayers to help your child in grow in virtue. I particularily like Morning Offering included in this book. I particularily like that book includes prayers for even the most difficult situations that could arrise in a child's life. It reminds us mother's to never cease in prayer, no matter how helpless the situation may seem. I haven't decided yet where the best place for this book will be; on my nightstand, in my purse / backpack / diaperbag or in the kitchen. At any rate, I pray that this book will help me to pray for my children more often and throughout their entire lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...