Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Living Gluten Free

We have been living gluten free for about a week now. Before that we were trying to go wheat free, but that just wasn't enough. My oldest boy and I have had no stomach aches, pains, discomfort or any other nasty side effects. We have been feeling great. Noah, who is so skinny has actually gained some weight. I have been trying to lose baby weight for over three years now and have already lost a dress size. Most of all, I am thankful for the energy, the sleep at nights and for my brain recovery. That might sound strange, but I have been suffering from short term memory loss and it is slowly coming back. I can remember what I was going without asking myself "What am I doing here?" and I can remember items on the shopping list, without taking a list. Truly, I have never been so thankful for anything in my life, than my new found energy and my memory.

I was very intimidated to go gluten free. I think I made that evident in my last blog post on Food Allergies and Intollerances. I was most intimidated by the cost of alternatives. We are not rich folks and basically get from one month to the next with the resources my husband provides. I was also afraid that the alternatives wouldn't taste any good and that we would be wasting our money and time. I'll put it this way, we normally spend about $150/wk on groceries including toiletries and laundry detergent, dogfood, etc. This may sound like a lot and it is. We buy mostly organic, green products and very few processed foods. You can understand my guilt when I went to the local organic store and spent over $100 on gluten free products and then needed to go back two days later to buy more. I didn't run out of everything, just a few types of flour that are used in almost every recipe for gluten free baking. Nonetheless, I was quite uneasy and extremely guilty.

I am quite confident now that I am getting better at living gluten free and hope to do so on a budget. I am learning what flours are best for what, where I can make substitutions and which flours are actually worth the extra $$$. So far my pantry holds...

brown rice flour
white rice flour (cheaper than brown rice flour)
millet flour
garfava flour (great in pizza dough!)
tapioca flour
sweet rice flour
sorghum flour
buckwheat flour
chickpea flour
teff flour
arrowroot starch
corn starch
GF baking powder
GF Vanilla extract
xanthum gum
gelatin
guar gum
GF/WF Mighty Tasty Cereal (Bob's Red Mill)
Organic Chicken Bouillon cubes (GF)
Organic Vegetable Bouillon cubes (GF)
Hemp Milk (great thicker type milk for thickening soups)
Rice Milk

This is the list of alternatives. My pantry is well stocked for now. Here are pictures of my cupboards before gluten free and after. I am using up the gluten containing flours for bread for my dh and then I will clean the containers and fill with GF goods.

Before


After

Now no post on gluten free living can go without a few recipes that are worth sharing. I have been testing and recipes for over a week now and I have to share with you our favourites.

Gluten Free French Bread - absolutely delicious
Buttermilk Buckwheat Pancakes - we use hempmilk and a tbsp of vinegar instead of buttermilk
Gluten Free Pizza Crust - delicious
Taco Seasoning Mix, Gluten Free
Banana-Nut Waffles (Gluten-Free and Vegan)
Savoury Chickpea Onion Biscuits
Gluten Free Dairy Free Muffins Mix
Rice Flour Pancakes
Gluten Free Tortillas

1 comment:

  1. I just love this post... this is what happened to my kitchen too... complete with the pretty arranged tupperware containers. I've since bought a bunch more from ikea, washed everything out really well (threw out all of my gluteny stuff) and had a blast with my lable maker to reorganize again.My favorite flours to use are sorghum, teff, sweet rice flour and oat flour. Planet is a great place to get stuff, and they have a whole shelf in their bakery of gluten free things like cookies and nanaimo bars. Also, check out the bakery in cochrane if you are ever that far north. It's fabulous!! http://theceliachusband.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...