This is one of those weeks where everyone is getting over colds and needs a little break. Last week, our home school facilitator made her first visit. Before she came we were busy finishing up some unfinished projects and getting caught up in a few things that got a little off track. All in all, I think she was pleased with what the kids have been doing. I know that I am. They worked hard so far this year and deserve a little break.
This has also given me a chance to get going on Christmas gift making. We are trying to do a home made Christmas this year. Other than a few music Cd's and small toys for the stockings, everything will be home made (I hope). So far, I have made one scarf, one pair of mittens, one hat and four rosaries. I have been working on a few small quilt projects. I need to finish the star wallhanging that will hang behind the Christmas stable. It just needs to be sandwiched and quilted. I made a pillow to match for the couch. I have pj's for all the kids left to make and I promised to make the boys and dad matching vests. Mia and I will have matching dresses or skirts (not sure if I have enough material). I am also trying to make gifts for family members living further away. I can't say what, because these people read this blog (I think). I am excited and very busy. I don't know how much I will be blogging in the next few weeks.
I have also been busy looking for advent and Christmas activities for school. Next week we will be schooling again and there is so much to do. Here are a few links of some things that I am planning to do with the kids during advent:
* learn some advent songs and Christmas carols
* make an advent wreath
* make an advent lapbook. Advent Faithfolder Link
* a unit study on Tomie de Paola
* Saint Nicholas activities from www.stnicholascenter.org
* Advent Adventure activites
* make Christmas gifts and cards for each other and cards for everyone they know
* make a Jesse tree and maybe even host a Jesse Tea
* bake cookies and listen to music
* most of all, prepare our hearts for the coming of Jesus.