Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day


Today is the Feastday of St. Patrick. He is a well loved Saint in both the religious and secular world. There are many legends, but the following is a true story about St. Patrick from Father Lawrence G. Lovasik, S.V.D. First Book of Saints.

Patrick was born in Scotland in the year 387. At sixteen he was captured by pirates and sold as a slave to a chief in Ireland. While tending sheep in the mountains, he prayed much.

After six years, a voice from heaven told him to go back to his own country. But first he went to Rome, where he became a priest. He was then sent to England, but after some time he begged the Pope to send him to Ireland. The Pope made him a bishop and then sent him as a missionary to Ireland.

One of the pagan kings of Ireland arrested Patrick. When he saw the miracles worked by Patrick, he said, "Tell us about your God. He has given you great power."

"There is but one God," answered Patrick, "in three Persons: the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit." Picking up a green shamrock he said, "Even as there are three leaves on this one stem, so there are three Persons in one God." After that he was allowed to preach the new Faith everywhere in Ireland. His missionaries later brought the Christian Faith to many parts of Europe.


The kids are busy working on lots of St. Patrick's Day Math and Language Arts activities from the Enchanted Learning website.

St. Patrick on Catholic Online

Free St. Patrick's Day ecards

Colouring Pages for St. Patrick's Day

We wish everyone a Happy St. Patrick's Day. We will be with you through this Holy Week publishing things that we think are important and some interesting finds for you and your family.

“Christ shield me this day: Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I arise, Christ in the heart of every person who thinks of me, Christ in the eye that sees me, Christ in the ear that hears me”

(from “The Breastplate of St. Patrick”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. May God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...